Quote Originally Posted by marmin
Quote Originally Posted by WILL
I think the best way to aim your material is to stick to the game theory and avoid getting too wrapped up in APIs, platform specific areas and anything that will distract too much from the task at hand. .
Now, imo that is mainly the problem with object pascal game dev. Am I wrong to notice that most people who want to program choose pascal because it has rad tools like delphi and wrappers like delphiX (that is hopelessly old and slow ).
I think that the people who think that all there is as an advantage to the Object Pascal language is Delphi-like RAD tools and DelphiX-like do-it-all-for-you components is sorely misguided and obviously not a very good programmer. And in that sense those that only see current day Pascal from that angle [size=9px](Mostly those that look at the language like it's just a tool named Delphi.)[/size] that make that rather discusting mistake.

These new programmers need to see more of the innovators and pioneers' work and get inspired. Those that want to stick to lego-like game development will either stay or stray away, but those that want to get serious have to have something to go to.

If one wants to seriously program a fast game one has to dig deep in API, a complex game requires to know exactly what the computer is doing. And most programmers turn away from pascal because they get the impression that pascal game dev is outdated and not technical, fast, at all. That's just my opinion. A game that is made with all kinds of wrappers, rad tools, it's just not the real thing...
Really depends on how cutting edge it is. A nice simple Windows game can require little more than a neat little set of components and a not-so-CPU-intensive game engine. Those are fine, but if you are trying to be innovative and push the envelope with the industry then you will require to be quite the tinker freak. And that is where those zanny C people and funky nay-sayers get lost.

Why should a c++ programmer has to know all the details and a pascal programmer not?
No reason what-so-ever, hence the need of a good ole game programming book using Object Pascal instead of C for a change.