Quote Originally Posted by Ultra
If the goal (at least one of many) of this book is to prove that Pascal is as capable as C++ in creating games I think it should be about 3D rather than 2D simply because it's considered to be more advanced. With that said I'm personally not sure if I'd like a book on 3D better than one on 2D.
Indeed a book on writting 3D games in Ibject Pascal is long over-due and should be written aswell. In fact if we only write one great book from our discussions here, it would still not be enough. I'm not saying to start a whole series, mainly because to do so hap-hazardly an in an amature-type format would only enhance the bias, but in fact if more books were written we'd need a few 'singles' first to kickstart the interest.

Another thought. Would this book be about creating the next Quake and using Pascal to show how to do it or show that Pascal is the only way to do it (i.e. will the focus be on the algorithms or the language)? I know this can't be answered right now but it must be know before anyone starts to write.
Hands down, algorythims. Don't we have enough books holding our hands teaching us all about the Object Pascal language? If I look at another book on how to do the exact same damn thing in a new version of the same damn compiler, I'm gonna puke! (maybe 1 book on Free Pascal I could stand out of exception however)

Oh, and someone seemed to miss:
:arrow: AI for Games using Pascal
AI, how could I have forotten that. :? I personally would love to have an Object Pascal book soley on AI, all aspects for gaming including Neural Nets and Genetic Algorythims.

noeska: I personally would love to read a FULL book on Sound using Object Pascal code myself. The topic can be expanded upon so much. And there is a ton of things to cover to get a really in-depth knowlage of it.

Robert: Why don't you try a cool project like a 'Game of Life' as it's called or some other basic game model and see if you can take it and expand from it with your own inovations and ideas. A lot of game developers start out like that. Online-Game Of Life?

Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm
Sorry, a single chapter on Sound Programming just isn't enough

We want ast least 3 chapters from everyone. How about doing something on 3D collision detection

3D programming would need to include model loading
I honestly think that all of these things deserve their own books with at least 300-400 pages min. However, you could make a HUGE mega-book from multiple authors, but it'd have to be something like 1000-2000 pages or something like that.

As great as that 'Delphi Graphics and Game Programming Exposed' was, it was very narrow was at best a beginners book. And by far too short!

'Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL' was a much better book in my opinion because it was more specific and although it focused on only 1 API, it stuck to that one API and did not try to be the 'great solution' for Delphi game developers. A book written like that seem more like propaganda then something that is useful, lasting and reusable.