Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writting a book on game development

Writting a book on game development

Actually I had looked past hangman, etc. I didn't think to write that, probably 'cause I have high hopes.

I'll try hangman then maybe a Barbar style game, though I'm not a pixel artist.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra
    If the goal (at least one of many) of this book is to prove that Pascal is as capable as C++ in creating games I think it should be about 3D rather than 2D simply because it's considered to be more advanced. With that said I'm personally not sure if I'd like a book on 3D better than one on 2D.
    Indeed a book on writting 3D games in Ibject Pascal is long over-due and should be written aswell. In fact if we only write one great book from our discussions here, it would still not be enough. I'm not saying to start a whole series, mainly because to do so hap-hazardly an in an amature-type format would only enhance the bias, but in fact if more books were written we'd need a few 'singles' first to kickstart the interest.

Another thought. Would this book be about creating the next Quake and using Pascal to show how to do it or show that Pascal is the only way to do it (i.e. will the focus be on the algorithms or the language)? I know this can't be answered right now but it must be know before anyone starts to write.
    Hands down, algorythims. Don't we have enough books holding our hands teaching us all about the Object Pascal language? If I look at another book on how to do the exact same damn thing in a new version of the same damn compiler, I'm gonna puke! (maybe 1 book on Free Pascal I could stand out of exception however)

Oh, and someone seemed to miss:
    :arrow: AI for Games using Pascal
    AI, how could I have forotten that. :? I personally would love to have an Object Pascal book soley on AI, all aspects for gaming including Neural Nets and Genetic Algorythims.

noeska: I personally would love to read a FULL book on Sound using Object Pascal code myself. The topic can be expanded upon so much. And there is a ton of things to cover to get a really in-depth knowlage of it.

Robert: Why don't you try a cool project like a 'Game of Life' as it's called or some other basic game model and see if you can take it and expand from it with your own inovations and ideas. A lot of game developers start out like that. Online-Game Of Life?

Quote Originally Posted by cairnswm
    Sorry, a single chapter on Sound Programming just isn't enough

We want ast least 3 chapters from everyone. How about doing something on 3D collision detection

3D programming would need to include model loading
    I honestly think that all of these things deserve their own books with at least 300-400 pages min. However, you could make a HUGE mega-book from multiple authors, but it'd have to be something like 1000-2000 pages or something like that.

As great as that 'Delphi Graphics and Game Programming Exposed' was, it was very narrow was at best a beginners book. And by far too short!

'Delphi Developer's Guide to OpenGL' was a much better book in my opinion because it was more specific and although it focused on only 1 API, it stuck to that one API and did not try to be the 'great solution' for Delphi game developers. A book written like that seem more like propaganda then something that is useful, lasting and reusable.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

OK

3 Authors = 3 Books

Noeska - Sound
    William - 2D
    WILL - 3D

I'm happy to add sound to my book though

Robert - I also have high ambitions - so I tried to write a WarCraft equivilent - OK so that didn;t work - I tried to write an Isometric Puzzle game - that didn;t work - so I tried to write a 2D puzzle game and that didn;t work - so I wrote Barbar!

(When I say it didn;t work - I mean I did not yet have the skills to do it).

So I wrote Barbar, TimePilot, and Pirates (Battleships) - then I felt I could try something new and I wrote my first 2D Puzzle game (Farmer Joe's Matching Yard). No I feel I could try something more. (My next game will be similar to Gold Miner Joe http://www.arcadelab.com/miner.html)

The point is - learn to do the basics before your try the advanced stuff. It allows you to actually achieve something while you progress.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

I'll try hangman then maybe a Barbar style game, though I'm not a pixel artist.
    Nor am I - thats why sites like : http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/englisch.htm exist!
    William Cairns

I'd be happy to add 1 or 2 chapters about properly designing and preparing a game. In another words, how to make a game design document. While it doesn't exactly add to the object pascal part of the book, it may be good if this is intended to be a beginners book for game programmers.

Blog Entries

3 Authors = 3 Books

Noeska - Sound
    William - 2D
    WILL - 3D
    I would not be able to write anyone a book on 3D. In fact if you intend for us here in the PGD community to write a book it might be best, as you suggest, for us all to write one huge super book for Novices. [size=9px](Though I would like to see more advanced books being put out there using the Pascal language.)[/size]

I'm happy to add sound to my book though
    Well if multiple authors are contributing then we should have enough coverage of many topics and categorize them accordingly.

Though with that, we have to be able to say "No" to a chapter if it's not what we are looking for of not up to the programmer level we require. A beginner book would be a waste of our time. There is enough materials out there(and here for that matter) for that and I would not want to work on such a project. Besides I think that online tutorials and items from within our 'Library' will be pleanty to click through to find what those beginners want. We need to start catering to Novice and Advanced users that want to use their skills in new ways. There is a strong lack of materials for these more experienced Pascal types to progress with and learn, grow and develop from. And thats the whole point of being a programmer, right?

Now if I did contribute to the project that cairnswm is wanting to get off the ground(I was only trying to stimulate the idea amoung all of you guys ) I would not be able to write anything much beyond helping to edit or proof-read(which I believe are quite important aswell). I just have way too many projects on my plate(one of those being the designing of the new PGD site) and a full time job in the military aswell.

Sorry to those of you wanting to help write a beginner book, but there needs to be a higher progression scale amoung Pascal programmers. On the bright side, you have something to aspire to after you have covered enough of the basics(more so than what you will have now). And if you are still fixed on writting a beginner book maybe you can convince the good Mr. Cairns to have a 2nd book poject going with a beginner book along with the seperate Novice book that is being written?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

This sounds like a great project!!! It seems that you will be able to cover all the essentials of game development using the great language that is Object Pascal.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

It has been quite a while since this topic has been discussed. Are all the interested parties still game? [size=9px]Pardon the pun.[/size]

Cairnswm, you still want to work on that big book idea of yours?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'd be happy to add 1 or 2 chapters about properly designing and preparing a game. In another words, how to make a game design document. While it doesn't exactly add to the object pascal part of the book, it may be good if this is intended to be a beginners book for game programmers.

I'm still game.

I would stil love to do it but havn't given it much thought for quite a while.

I havn't had much feedback on my 2D articles that I did, so I dont really know if I'm on the right track
    William Cairns

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast