Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delphi 7 on Windows 8

I maybe would use also Lazarus, but last time i used it, IDE was slow and executables were too big.
    So i didn't like it at all. Luckily i have no reason to install Win8, which is like Windows ME. Total trash.

I also used to think that Delphi is better. Some point maybe was, but now the tables have turned. I only support Delphi for my game engine because some of you guys still use it You can make small executables (always could, it's in compiler settings). Lazarus starts up much faster than Delphi if you disable splash screen (launch parameter --no-splash-screen). Plus of course your apps are multiplatform, you don't need to buy it unlike Delphi, have new language features etc. Basically, i feel at home with Lazarus now, it is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    I maybe would use also Lazarus, but last time i used it, IDE was slow and executables were too big.
    Latest Delphi versions such as XE 2 also have large executables due to forceful Unicode. On the other hand, Delphi 7 is 32-bit, which is a dying platform. Yes, it won't disappear quickly as it occurred with 16-bit DOS/Windows, but it is still a good idea to start porting applications to 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hwnd View Post
    Luckily i have no reason to install Win8, which is like Windows ME. Total trash.
    May I ask why do you think that? (Yes, I do believe Metro UI is a regression, but that's another story)

Quote Originally Posted by retrocoder View Post
    I did try Lazarus five or six years ago and it seemed a little rough around the edges.
    A lot have changed in this time. I also did try lazarus a few years ago and wasn't much pleased with it. But I also tried it a few months ago and I was preety impressed how it got much better in that time. So I strongly recomend you to give it a try.
    And don't get me wrong I'm still a Delphi supporter and I own Delphi XE2 and will be upgrading to Delphi XE3 soon (already got upgrade codes from Embarcadero). The reson why I still stick with newer versions of Delphi is the fact that newest Delphi IDEs (Delphi XE and newer) do suport some feature that werent present in older versions of Delphi like Regions for instance. What I liked most in Delphi 7 was the help system which I can say was the best help system in any Delphi version.

Blog Entries
    You'll love Lazarus then. They just released 1.0 not long ago and it's code editor is just like Delphi 7. Actually it's better!

You don't have to use the VCL or LCL to make your games in fact just create a new "Program" project and you are on your way. SDL links just as well to a Lazarus project as it does a Delphi one. You just have to setup your project options up to include your SDL paths, but you have to do the same in Delphi anyways. Plus later on if you wanted to share your game with your Mac or Linux friends it's as easy as giving them the source to compile for their platforms or doing it yourself.

Here is a first impressions blog from someone that tried the new Lazarus 1.0 recently: http://www.delphifeeds.com/go/s/95836
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Are there also custom components available for Lazarus?
    I mean like for Delphi, VCL components, free and shareware ones?
    How good is Lazarus at compiling some Delphi component source?

I never tried to do that, so that's why i ask.

I will try out v1.0. Maybe it's really better now, than it was

As far as I know there are plenty of third party componets which work with FPC/Lazarus. Infact many Delphi third party components have been ported to FPC/Lazarus already.

Older Delphi's install fine on vista+ if you don't install them to program files. (where UAC rules). IIRC you need to run setup as admin though so that the debugger registration goes fine.

But for most stuff nowadays I grab to FPC (and my private Delphi is D2009). It simply comes with more goodies ready to run.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12