Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asphyre is now on Google Code!

Asphyre is now on Google Code!

In addition to being updated to version 2.0.4, containing few minor fixes and additional Image-To-ASVF example, Asphyre is now also hosted on Google Code.

What this means is that you can always have the latest working version of Asphyre by updating from its SVN Trunk (a feature that has previously been requested on several occasions).

Blog Entries
    Great news!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In the packages there were some DirectX headers missing, so I've added the sources to the trunk and updated download packages. Sorry about that.

Blog Entries
    So will others collaborate more directly with the development of Asphyre Sphinx now? Or is this strictly for access purposes?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, if someone wants to help with Asphyre development, I can always give commitment access for the trunk.

The current development plans include better support on Mac OS and mobile platforms. There were plans to add OpenGL-based provider for Linux, but I've had some rough time running FPC/Lazarus there, specifically on Unity-based desktop, where Lazarus crashed when trying to change editor colors or the combo boxes become unresponsive and you could not exit Options screen without restarting application. I'm going to give it another try sometime later this year.

Blog Entries
    It's always those tool glitches that really hurt development huh? :/

I am curious though, what kind of numbers do you get for downloads of the latest versions of Asphyre? Are you able to track just how popular a specific version is or how many are downloading it?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Are you able to track just how popular a specific version is or how many are downloading it?
    You can track downloads in google code, i will let you search it

Same doesn't seem to apply for SVN downloads. However cool thing is ability to track exact code line changes per each revision.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    I am curious though, what kind of numbers do you get for downloads of the latest versions of Asphyre? Are you able to track just how popular a specific version is or how many are downloading it?
    According to statistics, in previous month, there were around 1276 downloads of Asphyre Sphinx 2. There were some downloads for earlier versions as well, but considerably less. All these downloads, along with forums, used roughly 20 Gb of hosting bandwidth. This usage pattern has been similar since last November. For instance, in March, Asphyre Sphinx 2 got 1289 downloads.

I guess this number of downloads is not much, considering that above numbers might not be unique users and some people might even download the library several times or even different archive types (e.g. zip, rar). However, there was a demise of Delphi/Pascal users since few years back and only since last year there was some increase due to release of Delphi XE 2 with 64-bit and Mac OS support.

The trend for Pascal seems to have reversed in 2009-2010 (with D2009 being the first version "usable" since D7?), but this wasn't really noticeable until end of 2011.
    (ohloh does real-world activity stats on open-source projects, it's a better trend indicator IME than TIOBE f.i.)

https://www.ohloh.net/languages/comp...s&percent=true

That said, if the commits went up, the stats for new lines of code added didn't went up in the same fashion, indicating that the activity is probably centered around bug fixing and porting the code to the new compilers/platforms. So not exactly a revival, but better than letting the code rot away!

PS: I registered your Google Code SVN in ohloh, its commits & code will now contribute to the Pascal popularity statistics ;-)

Although commits could indirectly imply the popularity of Pascal, I don't think it's an accurate measure as they are many more closed-source projects that are not being monitored.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The trend for Pascal seems to have reversed in 2009-2010 (with D2009 being the first version "usable" since D7?), but this wasn't really noticeable until end of 2011.
    This kind of proves my above point. Delphi 2006-2007 was a huge jump since Delphi 7 both in language and IDE features. Delphi 2009, 2010 and XE weren't really big improvements, besides compatibility annoyance of forceful introduction of Unicode. Open-source trend in 2009 could be mostly due to delayed reaction to free versions of Turbo Delphi and growing community of FPC/Lazarus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast