Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Don't sweat it, just go right into the code. I find drawing it out on graph paper (or at the very least getting a full mental picture) of how it will all function helps smooth out the rough concept so coding it becomes a bit more smooth.
Yes, you're right. A flowchart or an UML diagram draft helps a lot when coding. I always say "The best coding tool is a piece of paper and a pen".

I'm pretty anxious to see how the arena will look.
Right now it loads (almost) all data needed, but I was working in module distribution. I was working in "extreme programming" mode but I realized that this project is too complex so I did some diagrams and now I'm re-sorting the current code. I almost finished so I'll work on the arena and the fighting core soon.

Do you have anything special planned to make it different or are you going to try a more purist approach to that of games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat?
Version 1.0 will be purist, like Street Fighter I / II. For version 2.0 I want to add a scripting language, initially for AI descriptions and "History Mode", but it will allow much more (for example, to change background and sprites in runtime, to add properties to characters (specials), ...). Also I'll add more things as "weaponry" (i.e. Cody in Street Fighter Alpha 3) and teams (as King Of Fighters series or Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom). I think I can do it flexible enough to build RPG-like and Adventure-like games (i.e: different paths/endings, taking decisions...).

The challenge is to keep it simple enough. Or create to different engines (KOFFE and KOFFE II) each one with different goals.