Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KOFFE - The Fighting Engine.

Lightbulb KOFFE - The Fighting Engine.

I was thinking about what WILL said in this thread about what would juice this community, and answer was more and better projects. So I decided to rescue this old project of mine.

The idea of KOFFE is to do a remake of KOF'91, a M.U.G.E.N like fighting game engine dead long time ago. I tried to contact with KOF'91's developers when they killed the project but they didn't answer me so I started it by myself.

Current status isn't a game at all. It just does some initialization, loads few data that doesn't uses, and shows the intro animation, but it sets the structure for a lot of stuff. Of course it uses Allegro.pas so you'll see what you can do with it (version 4, because version 5 is still unstable and buggy).

You can get the sources, some documentation and testing data from last SVN by the tarball created automatically by SourceForge [here]. I did test it on Linux only, so I don't know if it will work on Windows or MacOS (Windows should work, but MacOS would need some "hacking" in the Allegro.pas library ).

The project's site has minimal information, as I've (re)started few days ago. Any help, suggestion and comment will be welcomed.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 29-08-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    I remember this "Game Maker" type of program for Windows a while back called "Fighter Maker 95" or something. It was similar to RPG Maker and others like that. You could draw your sprite frames for all your characters put them into these character objects and you'd create moves, set which frames were used in sequence and set the attack and blocking regions of each frame. It was pretty cool. I wouldn't mind playing with something like this.

Got anything running yet? Video?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Got anything running yet? Video?
    I'm stuck with the character selector screen. So I was resting a bit. Anyway, I think I can show something soon.

Blog Entries
    Cool. Be interesting to see how this turns out.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

It's far to work but I've decided to show you current status of character selector:
    Captura de pantalla - 110912 - 21:06:33.png
    It doesn't allow to select any yet, but it shows all characters you have in the sprites subdirectory and renders them. The glitches in the background are because it's animated.

Note that I'm using these characters for testing only, because I didn't find more and I haven't time to create new ones.

I was working on the project, and now the character selector is complete:
    Captura de pantalla - 201112 - 14:11:50.png
    As you see, the selector is a "stripe" with all characters available, that scrolls left or right. I did it that way because it was simpler.

Also I've added a stage selector.

Finally, I was designing the inners of the "arena", that is, the objects and how they work together. It's quite simple but complex at same time, and I'm a bit frightened about it. I don't know why, but I am.

Blog Entries
    That's awesome!

Don't sweat it, just go right into the code. I find drawing it out on graph paper (or at the very least getting a full mental picture) of how it will all function helps smooth out the rough concept so coding it becomes a bit more smooth.

I'm pretty anxious to see how the arena will look. Do you have anything special planned to make it different or are you going to try a more purist approach to that of games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Don't sweat it, just go right into the code. I find drawing it out on graph paper (or at the very least getting a full mental picture) of how it will all function helps smooth out the rough concept so coding it becomes a bit more smooth.
    Yes, you're right. A flowchart or an UML diagram draft helps a lot when coding. I always say "The best coding tool is a piece of paper and a pen".

I'm pretty anxious to see how the arena will look.
    Right now it loads (almost) all data needed, but I was working in module distribution. I was working in "extreme programming" mode but I realized that this project is too complex so I did some diagrams and now I'm re-sorting the current code. I almost finished so I'll work on the arena and the fighting core soon.

Do you have anything special planned to make it different or are you going to try a more purist approach to that of games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat?
    Version 1.0 will be purist, like Street Fighter I / II. For version 2.0 I want to add a scripting language, initially for AI descriptions and "History Mode", but it will allow much more (for example, to change background and sprites in runtime, to add properties to characters (specials), ...). Also I'll add more things as "weaponry" (i.e. Cody in Street Fighter Alpha 3) and teams (as King Of Fighters series or Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom). I think I can do it flexible enough to build RPG-like and Adventure-like games (i.e: different paths/endings, taking decisions...).

The challenge is to keep it simple enough. Or create to different engines (KOFFE and KOFFE II) each one with different goals.

After a lot of planning, drawing, replanning, redrawing... Here you have a drawing test, too far to be a game (actually it's a still image). It proves that everything is loaded correctly, and rendered in the right place. Almost everything you see can be modified, not just changing the pictures, you can change their position, and also you can decide not to show it if you don't want to.
    Captura de pantalla - 070213 - 19:20:55.png
    So next is to load all character data (currently it loads only the first frame of the "stand-by" animation) and then start coding the brawl... May be we have a playable first pre-alpha release before Christmas.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 07-02-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Great work on yor project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast