Quote Originally Posted by K4Z
This looks like an interesting topic, but it seems to have died, due to an all to common problem, worrying too much about the graphics.

{MSX}, have you already started on this game?

If not, here's some of my opinions:

I would suggest 2d, Iso, or even squared top down tiles.
Being turn based, 1 on 1 multiplayer is rather simple, since you need not worry about lag, etc.
Single player is a bit harder, in my opinion, cos you have to create AI.

Anyone still interested in breathing life into this idea?
I can help with coding, 3d and 2d graphics.
Hi
I've not started this project yet, even if this could happend on 16th March
About your considerations:
i'm still more attracted by 3D graphic. I've also done some "example" models for a fantasy-style game. They look simple and cartoonish and i'm very proud of them :mrgreen:
Here they are:

I've lot of code ready for the engine (exporting models, loading models, loading textures, rendering, etc. (see FunkyCars engine).
Btw, K4Z what do you use for 3d? Any experience (or wish to make it) in Blender? Any screenshot ?

About multiplayer, i think a simple 1vs1 is good, but i would want also a "container": something like a place where players meets and create/join games (like battle.net and the like), maybe with a mechanism for trading items, units, etc.
Problems with this implementation are many Syncronization, clients dropping, cheating, account mantaining etc. etc, without considering the it would require a server (ok, this is not a real problem anyway..)
This multiplayer system can possibly be as hard as single player AI to implement
But the question is: what will be more fun to play ?

Also, we should think about the gameplay.. for example, if using a rigid system (with fixed class of weapons, damages, etc, like UFO) or a flexible one, where each object can do about whatever (like in Magic the gathering, where a card can have almost any effect in game).

Bye