My opinion of graphics in games is pretty simple. If it doesn't look right don't use it. Pre-rendered graphics in games usually look a lot better than their 3D counterparts. Granted, there are a few drawbacks with prerendered sprites. Rotating, is one of them, zooming, to an extend as well (although Settlers 4 proved otherwise). But then again, do you really need rotating? I hardly ever use it in for example Warcraft 3.
I suppose it depends on the game, but in a turn based game, I doubt it. If I had to choose I would go for better/nicer graphics.

Lastly i found that working with it is annoing.. For example if you have to change a little on a model to get it better, you have to render all the model again. If you have to do it multiple times to get the right results, it's going to take a lot of time.
This is of course true, but for a 3d character, things don't get much easier either. Although you don't have to render it for a specific camera angle, you do need to export the motions. Not an easy task either.

Also, the use of multiple weapons per character seems easier to do in 2d than 3D. If I'm not mistaken, Diablo used a technique where multiple sprites where drawn on top of eachother.
My experience with 3D isn't that much, but I can't think of a way how to do it in 3D, besides changing the model with another or have it use other textures.