Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: turn based games

turn based games

I've been using that zLib library for a while now, really easy to use, and fast too.

I wrote a small program that searches in a directory and compresses all uncompressed files. In this case I made it search for all xml files (meshes, gui's, etc) and automatically compress them.

So when creating meshes you'd just work with them normally, and when you make a release you run the program, and it'll compress all the files.

It could also be used to compress textures and stuff aswell.

Not sure if the library could be some how ported to python.
    Or even get the bpython script to run a program written in delphi to compress the file after it's been made?

turn based games

wow, I've barely been at my pc all week, but here's some renderings I ment to of posted the other day...

(A bunch of tanks and other vehicles, each one is about 200 poly's, and I've tried to keep the mesh count to 4 or 5)

(Here's a weapon for vehicles. A Gattling Cannon)

(So the first tank equipt with dual Gattling Cannons would look a little something like this )

(Who needs guns and cannons when you can hurl giant boulders? )

---

(Oh and here's a monster type thingy, still needs a bit of work)

Well thats most of the more better/finished looking models.

what do you think so far?

(I've also made a bunch of scenery - cartoon looking trees and stuff, but pretty borring to bother making any renderings )

turn based games

Well you're a great modeler if you ask me
    Very nice, very low poly and good looking!
    Btw i love that monster Have you drawed other non-scifi characters too ?
    Well i'd like to see the scenario stuff too

I've spent the weekend on my other project so i didn't worked on this one.
    Anyway the off-game logic is almost completed and i've been working on the map. The tiles are already working and also scrollable.

As soon as i have the complete "navigation" of the program i'll post it so we can start to think of the gameplay itself.
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

turn based games

I've mostly modeled furturistic vehicles so far. I've got a bunch of half started fantasy characters - wierd monster looking things, goblins, a dwarf, a rat man, gargoyle, skeleton, minator - just to name a few.
    And crap loads of weapons, for men and vehicles.

I'll try and not get too many done until the game is more playable, and the editor has animation, cos I suspect that I might have to modify and fix up the models for them to work properly.

Umm scenery. Well, here's one of the typical tree's I've made.

Have you got some sort of tile width marked out for the map? So it will be easier to position and size the models. Mabye drawing a wireframe rectangle in the Editor, so you can see if a model is too big and outside the tile width?

---

I've also started porting your XML export script to LScript for Lightwave. It sort of works, but it exports all the meshes and layers as one big model file.
    (I'm still trying to figure out how to use layers with Lscript, all the reference info I've found on lscript is for version 8, but i've got version 7 and nothing seems to work :? )
    Ah, It's not that important, but if I get it working properly I'll be able to pump out models for the game really fast.

turn based games

Those models are great. I can't wait to see what they look like with textures on them.

I wonder though why you've made such a spikey tree. I'm guessing those spikes are eating up a lot of polies. Why not use a transparency map? You'll have much better results that way.

Anyway, keep em coming!

turn based games

Quote Originally Posted by K4Z
    I've mostly modeled furturistic vehicles so far. I've got a bunch of half started fantasy characters - wierd monster looking things, goblins, a dwarf, a rat man, gargoyle, skeleton, minator - just to name a few.
    :shock:
    That's just "a few" ? Looks like i've solved my problems with graphics

Have you got some sort of tile width marked out for the map? So it will be easier to position and size the models. Mabye drawing a wireframe rectangle in the Editor, so you can see if a model is too big and outside the tile width?
    Ok, i'll make a reference on the editor. If i remember correctly the tiles are 4 units in length (i must check this, i could be mistaking).

I've also started porting your XML export script to LScript for Lightwave. It sort of works, but it exports all the meshes and layers as one big model file.
    (I'm still trying to figure out how to use layers with Lscript, all the reference info I've found on lscript is for version 8, but i've got version 7 and nothing seems to work :? )
    Ah, It's not that important, but if I get it working properly I'll be able to pump out models for the game really fast.
    I've never used Lightwave so i can't help you
    Anyway that could be useful.. i think there lots of Lightwave users out there too.

Bye bye! I'm posting updates soon.
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.

turn based games

lol, yeah that spikey tree is about 130 polys ops: . We havn't gotten to a set style for scenery yet, thats just one type I've made. Others are really low poly and have texture.
    I've also made a couple types of walls (a single tile mesh that can be 'tiled' to form a wall, with end peices and corners), but I gotto fix em up to match the tile widths.

---

Traveler, do you know much about LScript? for lightwave 7.0? or any good sites?

Is there a way to get point and poly data from seperate layers instead of the entire model?

I've tried scripting for Modeler, and Layout to get the seperate meshes, layers, but cannot seem to get anything to work.

I just cannot find much info on lscript for lw7.

I dunno, it's not a must have, but would be nice to export from lightwave straight into Xml for the model editor. At the moment I just import into belnder to run the python script.

Might just make a .lwo to XML convertor in delphi.

turn based games

Ok, i've uploaded a new release, with the changes on the editor that you asked.
    Now you can show/hide a floor tile and also place a "reference model" to compare the sizes in realtime.

The game itself has also some improvements: you can create and start a game to see a very alpha stage of the game itself: it contains three models and the tiles, and the map can be scrolled around.

I'll be working on animations so that you can continue modelling

Bye

turn based games

Quote Originally Posted by K4Z
    Traveler, do you know much about LScript? for lightwave 7.0? or any good sites?
    I'm afraid I don't know a single thing about lscript. You could try newteks forum at vbulletin.newtek.com. There are some very experienced people over there that may be able to help you out.

You could also try to export the model to obj format. After that its fairly easy to write your own export to an xml format.

turn based games

I've done a heap of new models, and gone through the update (ooh i see you've cleaned it up a bit).

Well umm, I've made some new scenery, themed scenery actually. Like Castle stuff, futuristic stuff (like maps that look like they're in a spaceship, starcraft style), etc, etc.

The scenery is made up like a construction kit , like pieces of lego you put together to make all kinds of cool things. Here's a early example I made to use as a template.

(Take a handfull a wall blocks, a couple tower blocks, mabye some corners or end pieces)

(Connect em up and there you go, a simple little fort)

(...and with a little experimenting, take the palm of your hand, and mash it into the game)

Haha

Well, it kinda works. Once again it looks like the smoothing problem has struck again. The wall blocks don't look like they are sitting correctly. It's ment to look like one complete wall. I don't really know that much about OpenGL, but is there a way to make them more flat looking?
    Did you manage to find a way to fix the Tank model from looking so smooth?

Thats it for now.

(One day I *might* add some color, or even textures to these screenshots HA! :lol: )

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast