Thread: PGD Challenge in the Winter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    In other words, as long as the challenge is big/daunting/tough enough the simple fact of saying "I did that" tends to be quite rewarding
    That is true in a way. But if you having to tough challenge can repel many of potentional contestants. So it is imperative to set challenge difficulty acoring to the knowledge of potentional contestants. And this is where there is a big difference between PGD chalange and Ludum Dare.
    You see with the diference of PGD chalanges where you can program only in pascal in Ludum Dare you can program in many different programing languages and we have to admit that most of them are much more popular in game development than pascal. This means that there are much more potentional contestants for Ludum Dare than for PGD competitions so Ludum Dare can ford to have dificult challenges.
    But we here on PGD can't aford to have to demanding challanges becouse with our challenges we tend to atract new pepole into game programing and this in many times means pepole with less expirience. So having to tough challenge will repel most of theese from even entering the competition.

sounds fun, i think i can handle it when its really in winter (~december)

going for the top places again and maybe without bonus points this time
    hope we get plenty of entries to compete at a high level and get some great games out of it

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    The next one would be like the first with a more technical challenge than a game play theme.
    I think I'll try it again. I hope that left Linux out of the equation would make my entry more stable...
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    A thought: We could always just hold a game jam type of event, however people seem to respond more to a competitive challenge rather than something that is more open ended. (Experience!)

We could try it sometime and have the community vote/rate on each game's popularity, but those scores would be a bit flaky in some cases as, I've explained above that they'll be biased off impressions rather than just the actual game. How can you "vote" or rate a game that you can't get running on any of your computers?

The rating system in that case would be less serious as it's not classified as a competition so it's not like pitting a Mac game against a Windows game for example.

My first goal is to include everybody not so much exclude specific people or lay bias on their work because they are doing something different. (a less common OS) Innovation is different and we can all agree that that kind of different is good.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder