Thread: PGD Challenge in the Winter?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Hmm.. I mean November/December time-frame.

PS: I still don't get how that whole Australia gets opposite weather than we do thing.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hmm.. I mean November/December time-frame.

PS: I still don't get how that whole Australia gets opposite weather than we do thing.
    The Earth is tilted on its axis, and depending on the time of the year, either the northern or southern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, while the other half must, of course, be tilted away.

In June, the Northern hemisphere tilts towards the sun. This makes the day longer and the Sun is higher in the sky, giving what sunlight hits the ground more intensity. This is summer.
    At the same time, the Southern hemisphere is experiencing winter, with shorter days and the Sun lower in the sky, giving less intense sunlight.

When December comes, the situation is reversed, with winter in the Northern hemisphere and summer in the Southern.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_th...rn_hemispheres

cheers,
    Paul

Here is a diagram to help explain it more:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 04-09-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Here is a diagram to help explain it more:

lol I guess I was asking for it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I am still wondering what kind of christmas songs are sung in Australia: "I am dreaming of a white Christmas ...". Santa Claus is surfing ... ?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Technical challenge sounds good to me.

I would hope there was different result system though, like letting forum members vote. Wouldn't need judges. Most importantly i'm not after the rewards. All that stuff make the contest feel more pressing and bigger than it should be. It could be in big part a self-maintained system.

Blog Entries
    About the christmas song thing, I used to live in South Africa and to be honest it was rarely cold enough for us to consider it 'winter' like everyone else. Winter over (june time of year) tends to be the dry season so we spent most of our time outside and in winter (december time) we went out whenever we could. Santa just 'came' by our tree (which one year was just A tree..). Presents under a cycad - kinda stands out less than you think

More on topic, a technical challenge does sound fun and I can't disagree with User137s' mor community oriented idea - maybe have the voting split 50/50 with official judges counting as half the say and the community the other? And I must say I agree on the rewards side - Ludum Dare is now one of the biggest competitions of that type and its only reward is to finish. In other words, as long as the challenge is big/daunting/tough enough the simple fact of saying "I did that" tends to be quite rewarding
    Last edited by code_glitch; 04-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    I would hope there was different result system though, like letting forum members vote. Wouldn't need judges. Most importantly i'm not after the rewards. All that stuff make the contest feel more pressing and bigger than it should be. It could be in big part a self-maintained system.
    The problem with this is the validity of those scores. Platform Popularity is the main issue that will either drive down any game entry that doesn't run on the most popular OS or you run into the problem of people scoring based off the videos shown because they can run the game thus scores based mostly on how the game "looks" rather than the actual end result of the finished game after playing it.

I can't see getting away from actual judges with posted system hardware specs. You'd drive away all the new platform development and limit those that would feel it's worth competing.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder