Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Challenge in the Winter?

Blog Entries

PGD Challenge in the Winter?

Hey folks!

Who would be up for another Challenge sometime this Winter? I have a great idea for a mini compo, something that I'd love to have had put forward as a theme for a long time so I wouldn't mind doing it this winter. (2012)

I'd set it for about a month of development time. Platforms I'd be looking at both Windows, Mac and HTML5 for supported platforms from the volunteer judges. If I add myself as a judge this time, I could also add Android to the list of platforms.

The next one would be like the first with a more technical challenge than a game play theme.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'm up for this. Though, I hope there won't be any unpredicted personal problems like the last compo. I still regret not being able to work on my game due to all the things that were happening. But, I look forward to the next one
    Existence is pain

I'm deffinitly up to this even thou I'm having some hard time geting myself to do any programing lately. I hope that this time I will atleast manage to finish my entry and not like in first two PGD mini competition where I alwys ran out of time (I always try to something which is actually beyond my capabilities - capabilites to make it in aloted time). But hey atleast everytime I learn something new and for me this is something.

Blog Entries
    I may, if I have time, write a small "How to get ready for the PGD Challenge" article for those. It'd be sort of a short list of items to get yourself ready on the start date of any game development competition.

Key stuff is usually tools; make sure all your tools are in order and working. Then there is your libraries and API; use what you know to use and make sure that you know to use what you need such as graphics, texture/sprite loading, audio, input controls, windows management, etc. And for crying out loud stick to the platforms that you know that your method of passing copies of your game to will easily support your game and the required distributable link libraries are included with your packaging.

It's more in depth than that, but that is some of the basics.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Heck, I could write you a 'how NOT to get ready for any coding competition, ever' article at this rate. I only have a few Ludum Dare "completions" to my name
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

So when you say 'Winter' do you mean in around 3 months time? It has just become spring here in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
    I guess it will depend on how my job hunting has gone...

Blog Entries
    Hmm.. I mean November/December time-frame.

PS: I still don't get how that whole Australia gets opposite weather than we do thing.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hmm.. I mean November/December time-frame.

PS: I still don't get how that whole Australia gets opposite weather than we do thing.
    The Earth is tilted on its axis, and depending on the time of the year, either the northern or southern hemisphere is tilted toward the Sun, while the other half must, of course, be tilted away.

In June, the Northern hemisphere tilts towards the sun. This makes the day longer and the Sun is higher in the sky, giving what sunlight hits the ground more intensity. This is summer.
    At the same time, the Southern hemisphere is experiencing winter, with shorter days and the Sun lower in the sky, giving less intense sunlight.

When December comes, the situation is reversed, with winter in the Northern hemisphere and summer in the Southern.
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_th...rn_hemispheres

cheers,
    Paul

Here is a diagram to help explain it more:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 04-09-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    Here is a diagram to help explain it more:

lol I guess I was asking for it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast