Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGD Challenge in the Winter?

I am still wondering what kind of christmas songs are sung in Australia: "I am dreaming of a white Christmas ...". Santa Claus is surfing ... ?
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Technical challenge sounds good to me.

I would hope there was different result system though, like letting forum members vote. Wouldn't need judges. Most importantly i'm not after the rewards. All that stuff make the contest feel more pressing and bigger than it should be. It could be in big part a self-maintained system.

Blog Entries
    About the christmas song thing, I used to live in South Africa and to be honest it was rarely cold enough for us to consider it 'winter' like everyone else. Winter over (june time of year) tends to be the dry season so we spent most of our time outside and in winter (december time) we went out whenever we could. Santa just 'came' by our tree (which one year was just A tree..). Presents under a cycad - kinda stands out less than you think

More on topic, a technical challenge does sound fun and I can't disagree with User137s' mor community oriented idea - maybe have the voting split 50/50 with official judges counting as half the say and the community the other? And I must say I agree on the rewards side - Ludum Dare is now one of the biggest competitions of that type and its only reward is to finish. In other words, as long as the challenge is big/daunting/tough enough the simple fact of saying "I did that" tends to be quite rewarding
    Last edited by code_glitch; 04-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    In other words, as long as the challenge is big/daunting/tough enough the simple fact of saying "I did that" tends to be quite rewarding
    That is true in a way. But if you having to tough challenge can repel many of potentional contestants. So it is imperative to set challenge difficulty acoring to the knowledge of potentional contestants. And this is where there is a big difference between PGD chalange and Ludum Dare.
    You see with the diference of PGD chalanges where you can program only in pascal in Ludum Dare you can program in many different programing languages and we have to admit that most of them are much more popular in game development than pascal. This means that there are much more potentional contestants for Ludum Dare than for PGD competitions so Ludum Dare can ford to have dificult challenges.
    But we here on PGD can't aford to have to demanding challanges becouse with our challenges we tend to atract new pepole into game programing and this in many times means pepole with less expirience. So having to tough challenge will repel most of theese from even entering the competition.

sounds fun, i think i can handle it when its really in winter (~december)

going for the top places again and maybe without bonus points this time
    hope we get plenty of entries to compete at a high level and get some great games out of it

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    The next one would be like the first with a more technical challenge than a game play theme.
    I think I'll try it again. I hope that left Linux out of the equation would make my entry more stable...
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    I would hope there was different result system though, like letting forum members vote. Wouldn't need judges. Most importantly i'm not after the rewards. All that stuff make the contest feel more pressing and bigger than it should be. It could be in big part a self-maintained system.
    The problem with this is the validity of those scores. Platform Popularity is the main issue that will either drive down any game entry that doesn't run on the most popular OS or you run into the problem of people scoring based off the videos shown because they can run the game thus scores based mostly on how the game "looks" rather than the actual end result of the finished game after playing it.

I can't see getting away from actual judges with posted system hardware specs. You'd drive away all the new platform development and limit those that would feel it's worth competing.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    A thought: We could always just hold a game jam type of event, however people seem to respond more to a competitive challenge rather than something that is more open ended. (Experience!)

We could try it sometime and have the community vote/rate on each game's popularity, but those scores would be a bit flaky in some cases as, I've explained above that they'll be biased off impressions rather than just the actual game. How can you "vote" or rate a game that you can't get running on any of your computers?

The rating system in that case would be less serious as it's not classified as a competition so it's not like pitting a Mac game against a Windows game for example.

My first goal is to include everybody not so much exclude specific people or lay bias on their work because they are doing something different. (a less common OS) Innovation is different and we can all agree that that kind of different is good.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    The problem with this is the validity of those scores. Platform Popularity is the main issue that will either drive down any game entry that doesn't run on the most popular OS or you run into the problem of people scoring based off the videos shown because they can run the game thus scores based mostly on how the game "looks" rather than the actual end result of the finished game after playing it.
    Each entry could have downloads for more than 1 platform, if it's supported. For Delphi there's no way around only for windows, but others may be able to run on linux. It's something contestant would need to do by himself, or if giving source code, then site admins could modify the sent competition package and add different OS binaries to it.

It's at least better than not being able to test them at all after contest ends. I was a little disappointed in not being able to test more than half of the entries in this contest too. All projects should run at least on windows in my opinion. If it's freepascal project, that should already be given.

@Will
    I totally agree that public scoring for competition won't be good especially if pepole can't run the entries becouse of lacking proper OS or dependancies. That's why we have judges who can runn entries on any competition supported platform.
    But still I think it would be good to alow other PGD members to express their own impresions on the entries. Offcourse this will be only informative and would mostly serve just as fedback to the developers (more fedback is always better).

@User137
    Making game to be able to run on multiple platforms isn't easy especially if you don't have sufficient expirience with target platform.
    While windows is still most popular platform on PC computers this is no guarantee that all of us have suficient expirience with it even due the fact that probably all of us used Windows at some point. But if someone is using MAC OS for the last 5 yers it will have a lot of troubles making game to run smothly on Windows due to qute some changes in Windows architercture (changed various paths, lots of changes in acces premisons etc.).
    Same will go for me if I would try to make my game runable on MAC OS or Linux becouse I have no expirience with MAC OS and verry litle expirience with Linux.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 11-09-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast