Well, the Personal license says "no compensation relating to compiled program..." (Thats not word for word, but you get the point) meaning you can't get around it by selling a pair of dirty socks for $30 and toss in a free CDROM of your latest game..

Really, though .. If you DO create something worth selling, that people would want to actually buy, you'll know it. And when that happens, you can look around on EBay or other auction sites for a used copy, or someones extra copy from their dot.bomb .. Or just look for a good sale.. Professional Version which allows you to sell can be found for around $800 .. A far cry from "thousands of dollars" .. Which is STILL a lot for 99.999% of us regardless, but it'll be paid off quickly ... (unless your program really IS total crap !)

As for giving the source to someone to compile who has it.. I have no idea how that would work.. Common sense is yeah, you could do it.. But I really don't know .. You could go as far as having people write checks to the person and him to complete the legality of the deal, and then have the person just give you the money after the transaction and it'd be a clean deal.. But bleh. Dunno if i'd wanna try that.

As for them finding out, im sure the executable will have all info of where the program came from somehow .. Who knows if they have a bunch of trained monkies downloading shareware all day going through headers of applications to see that they're getting their share .. Or perhaps they just trust people .. Or rely on some other 3rd party watchdog group that does this for not only them, but other application develpment houses ..

You could go ahead and find out for us if you'd like .. I've always wondered this myself. Luckily i've never made anything worth selling.. It's more of a mind exercise for me than anything else..