Thread: New hardware needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, Windows is still the most popular operating system, which is over ten times more popular than Mac OS [1], [2], so if you want to have wider audience both for commercial and non-commercial targets, Windows is still your best friend.

However, I think there is an indirect factor, where I agree with Jason. Just think about it, who is most likely buy your commercial software, a guy that spent $500 on his Windows PC or a Mac "freak" who spent over $2000 on his Macbook Pro? Now, if you also consider people who replaced commercial Windows OS with free Linux distro, how likely are they going to buy it? This is an exaggerated speculation of course, but it's definitely an aspect that you need to analyze before releasing your software.

Also, there is another issue in mind - piracy. On Windows, it is incredibly easy to pirate, while, for instance, on an iOS powered device it may even result in warranty breach due to jailbreak.

Therefore, in my opinion, the "safest" commercial route for now is Mac OS and iOS, although for larger audiences, there is no beating Windows. Taking that in mind and back on topic, spending $500 on Windows-based PC, which can also sport Linux, can be considered money well-spent. Although, there are some Mac Mini's and MacBook Airs in $500 budget limit that have interesting hardware and should not be ignored!

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Just think about it, who is most likely buy your commercial software, a guy that spent $500 on his Windows PC or a Mac "freak" who spent over $2000 on his Macbook Pro?
    If you are thinking that those who spend more money on computer will also be more prepared to pay for a game I must dissapoint you but you are wrong. There are many pepole who spend even more than $3000 and still don't buy any game.

I think that most important thing is the price for each game. Nowadays many games are way overpriced. So chosing right price for your game will aslo lower the chances for it go get pirated.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    If you are thinking that those who spend more money on computer will also be more prepared to pay for a game I must dissapoint you but you are wrong. There are many pepole who spend even more than $3000 and still don't buy any game.

I think that most important thing is the price for each game. Nowadays many games are way overpriced. So chosing right price for your game will aslo lower the chances for it go get pirated.
    The next sentence in my post says that it was an exaggerated speculation. You have to be picky, don't you?

According to this reference:
    Under pricing. Pricing your products for too low a cost can have a disastrous impact on your bottom line...
    Over pricing. On the flip side, overpricing a product can be just as detrimental since the buyer is always going to be looking at your competitors pricing...
    Unfortunately, it's not the reference I was looking for. There was an article that described the cost of the game in terms of prestige or quality. So a more expensive game might be perceived as better (or having more content) than a less priced game. However, as you've said, it is important to choose the right and fair price.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
    Linux users provide about 12% of the incomes and the average payment of a Linux user is almost 2x higher than that of a Windows guy.
    Do you mind explaining this one with more details? Why do you think so?

I wrote those words citing the example of the Humble Indie Bundle; the above is a screenshot from their site.

Blog Entries
    Hmm.... Thats says a lot more than it lets on at first Super Vegeta. Given that theres around 9 PCs for every Mac and a few Macs for every linux box... Somthing Like a 12:3:1 ish ratio (yes, thats off the top of my head ) then wouldnt it be safeish to assume linux people are the most generous? I mean, thats quite the turnabout given that 99.9999999% of the linux experience is free...

Edit: oh, wait. It states the values down the left... -_-...
    Last edited by code_glitch; 19-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Vegeta View Post
    {image}
    I wrote those words citing the example of the Humble Indie Bundle; the above is a screenshot from their site.
    That graphics can be interpreted as Windows buyers are some cheap bastards.

Edit.... or that Linux stuff is too expensive.