Thread: Platformation Under VisualStudio 2012

Platformation Under VisualStudio 2012

Hi !

I look around Oxygene this days, as RemObject said the ios compiler arriving, I guess it is a very promising platform for the future.

I'm glad to see there are a forum subject here, I see a long time without message : Hope you have not drop ?

First : Paul and pStudio, As experienced user What is your deep throught about Oxygene for Java ?

Secondly :
    As a proof of concept, I decide to try to compile your game Paul : Platformation (Bravissimo for this game, Paul, it's very nice !)

So, I install Paul's project demo, in VisualStudio Shell 2012, provide by RO. It is nice, But I do not succeed to make your game Work, Paul.

2 weird things :
    first, I have to change those kind of declaration from
    FLevelBestCoins : array of Integer = [0,0,0,0,0,0];
    to
    FLevelBestCoins : array of Integer := [0,0,0,0,0,0];

(":" add front of "=")

----> Why ? Have the syntax change since Oxygene Nougat ??

And now, I have this kind of error :

Message: 'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.LWJGLException'
    At:
    java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass

I have put the reference inside visualStudio, Oxygene seems to recognise them, but...

Thanks !!

Since I've just seen this thread I guess I'll come with my answer to your first question.

First I will simply say that I really like the Oxygene Pascal flavour. Remobjects has added some nice enhancements to the old language.
    Secondly I was really impressed by how I could use preexisting libraries with pretty much no problems (this includes .NET and Java libraries). To be honest, I probably wouldn't choose Oxygene, if I only had to write a .NET program. In that case I would be fine with C#. But for Java programs I would seriously think about using Oxygene instead of regular Java.
    I've never been too hot on Java despite using it a lot in school. For instance I just despise it when a class has like 20+ getter and setter methods. It really makes the code uglier and harder to read in my oppinion. That's why I really enjoyd how Oxygene translates get/set methods into properties when you use external libraries. I love how I can translate some Java code into Oxygene and see how the code is easier to read and comprehend.

However I haven't really used Oxygene much lately. This is simply due to me being busy with a game project and school life. However I will consider using Oxygene when I have to write a school project in November. However this depends on whether I'm working alone and if it is okay to use a proprietary programming language. But I would take Oxygen for Java over regluar Java any day. And I'll definitly use Oxygene for the next compo if I have the time.
    In the end I will say my experiences with Oxygene has been positive, and I'm amazed how much I like it know compared to the fact that I hardly knew anything about it half a year ago
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Hi !

thanks for your response !
    I see Oxygene as you see it I believe, it s very cool because always native. I'm a little tired to do or search about pascal unit translation for using something. here, in .Net, JVM or in the arriving Obj.c the language will use all of that natively.
    have you see the last post of Marc Hoffmann ? On MAc, it will be native : 64bits on macOs and 32 bits on ios. Very impressive stuff.

Overall price is cool too.

The only drawback, for instance, is the documentation : I've unfortunally not succeded to do something with the java stuff. always "unknown class" summoned.
    I play with the reference, but nothing.
    I took the platformation project of Paul but that not seems to work on theyr last release.
    Have you the private mail of Paul ? he Might be unplugged those last weeks.

cheers.

Hi Vinzvega, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...I went to write a reply the other day, but my computer crashed for a while and I lost the post

With my Platformation game, the source code I uploaded wasn't quite the latest version from memory - v2 verses v4 I believe. Also you need to put the required .jar files here unless you change the reference paths:
    c:\programming\lwjgl\jar\ <all lwjgl jar files here in their sub folders>
    c:\programming\ibxm.jar
    c:\programming\slick-util.jar

If you just download and copy the lwjgl folder that contains the jar, native, and other folders to c:\programming\lwjgl then that should work.

I have also found that there have been compiler changes since I created Platformation, like a bunch of classes and emums for example now needing to be made public for the game to compile.
    If I get time, I will upload the latest source code once I get it compiling again in the latest Oxygene for Java

cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by paul_nicholls; 23-09-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Added information

and some other changes like you have observed like "=" needing to be ":=" for initializing variables at declaration time too...

If you need it, you can get the latest version of lwjgl here:
    http://www.lwjgl.org/download.php

Hi Paul,

thanks for your response : Sorry but I didn't see it until now !

Yes, I've encountered the syntax change (it is unbelivable to SEE the birth of a new langage, something as the change of the syntax - so funny) )
    and I succeed to build your project.

But : On runtime, I have always stuff like : Message: 'java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path'
    I'm sorry, it is certainly basic error, but I feel unarmed front of this kind of stuff.

And the ibxm and slick-uitl, I do not see it.

I believe Oxygene under Visual2012 change a lot from the not so long time you done this program, and I will happy if you refresh it...

As important as the program for me, is your impression about oxygene, in a strategic view.

I feel a bit disapointed about Emb XE2/3, firstly because of them marketing behaviour. they drop xe2 completely. FPC will be always a solution, fortunally. But tools lacks.
    RemObject are impressive, but documentation and example are poor. I'm hesitate. That stress me )

Vincent

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinzvega View Post
    ----> Why ? Have the syntax change since Oxygene Nougat ??
    I'm not sure what changes were put into the compiler since the previous version, but I'm sure that it has much to do with adding the ability to add more platforms for compatability. Free Pascal has had similar issues since different operating systems have different execution requirements. Also since Oxygene was designed to incorporate both managed code styles such as .NET and Java byte-code it may need to address some of the setup portions of the program code that allows compilation of the program for more native-style platforms such as Mac OS X and iOS. This is only my guess however and there could be other reasons behind it.

As far as Oxygene as a tool for game development, I think it could easily overtake both Delphi and Lazarus in the way it makes development across multiple platforms easier. Sadly it currently lacks a Mac IDE which is what would make it the ideal tool for Mac-based Apple development.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Vinzvega View Post
    Hi Paul,

thanks for your response : Sorry but I didn't see it until now !

Yes, I've encountered the syntax change (it is unbelivable to SEE the birth of a new langage, something as the change of the syntax - so funny) )
    and I succeed to build your project.

But : On runtime, I have always stuff like : Message: 'java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no lwjgl in java.library.path'
    I'm sorry, it is certainly basic error, but I feel unarmed front of this kind of stuff.

And the ibxm and slick-uitl, I do not see it.
    Hi Vincent, I have attached the ibxm and slick-util jar files as a zip file:
    ibxm and slick-util.zip

Sorry about that!
    Extract those to the c:\programming folder as mentioned above, unless you change the references path

cheers,
    Paul