Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what IDE for FPC

what IDE for FPC

why gnu-pascal?
    in what format do you store settings? XML?
    will you provide support cross compiling to linux or arm?
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

what IDE for FPC

Quote Originally Posted by {MSX}
    Nice job!! I looks better than the original version. The only problem is that i see it difficoult to port it to other platform. Ok for removin' non-standard components, but i don't think it is enought.There's a lot of other things that will probably need to be rewritten.
    The best way would be to try and keep the gui separated from the core, but that mean probably to redesign the program (i don't know how it is designed now).
    Naturally I hope i'm mistaking and to see dev-pas running on linux soon
    I hope that, soon or later, Lazarus can compile crossplatform applications without (or with little) troubles...

At current state of development, Lazarus can't compile a complex application like DevPas, but I'm confident that will be able to do it in near future
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

what IDE for FPC

Legolas can you give me some information about how dev-pas work ?
    I have some questions:
    How does it call the compiler ? It just run the executable capturing the output or has freepascal compiled in the IDE ?
    And about the debugger? Original Dev-pas had the debugger? How was interfaced?

Thanks
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

what IDE for FPC

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    why gnu-pascal?
    in what format do you store settings? XML?
    will you provide support cross compiling to linux or arm?
    The DevPascal's sources I have can handle FPC or GNU Pascal compiler, and settings are stored in .ini format.

FreePascal provides i386/linux to arm/linux cross compiling, AFAIK, but is in an early stage... Anyway i'll include an option to support cross-compiler,

Quote Originally Posted by {MSX}
    Legolas can you give me some information about how dev-pas work ?
    I have some questions:
    How does it call the compiler ? It just run the executable capturing the output or has freepascal compiled in the IDE ?
    And about the debugger? Original Dev-pas had the debugger? How was interfaced?
    Well... DevPas just run&capture... And - of course :cry: - the debugger is in text mode only. No IDE integration. Nothing. Nada. Nihil. :lol:
    It would be a nice feature to embedding a debugger in DevPas...

what IDE for FPC

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    Well... DevPas just run&capture... And - of course :cry: - the debugger is in text mode only. No IDE integration. Nothing. Nada. Nihil. :lol:
    It would be a nice feature to embedding a debugger in DevPas...
    It's a must
    I've looked around for gdb and i've seen there are some units in FPC sources for interfacing it.
    The unit don't seem to be all that nice at first look. I don't know if they just "run and capture" or uses libgdb. I've searched around but there's very little documentation on libgdb. That's the official:
    http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/curren...t_5.html#SEC28

quite small uh ?

If you are interested, we could open a thread about how to interface gdb. I'm quite interested in it.
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

what IDE for FPC

Ok, it's a good idea! In the meantime I'll look at the DevCpp source to see how internal debugger is implemented.

Blog Entries

what IDE for FPC

Legolas: Looks great.

Just a few comments on your revision of DevPascal. I think it'll be best if you try to remove all 3rd party components besides SynEdit(as it seems to be supported by Delphi, Kylix and FPC). This will help you support more than one compiler and reduce the mess of the entire code. That and well who needs them anyhow.

As for what to compile this under... Lazarus makes HUGE exe files so maybe not the best option, but if you can manage to eventually migrate it to become almost 100% barebones-FPC compilable, that'd probably be the best thing for it. Then you basically have a self sustaining development tool like that of Borland's Delphi (IDE and the Object Pascal compiler together compiled from a previous version of Delphi).

It would be nice to have a inline debugger aswell, but for now I think I could settle for jus the usual kind of debugger that we are all used to from Borland(Turbo Pascal and Delphi's debuggers that when the warning, hint or error is clicked on in the error messages it takes you to the line of code that it has the problem with).

:!: The revision looks great so far. A word or warning however if you plan to try using Kylix for porting... As of now the latest version of the Linux Kernel 2.6.x will not run or allow Kylix 3 executables to be ran through the IDE either. There is an issue with the new kernel and the compiler. Some sites offer some information about the problem, but I, myself have not found a way to do anything to fix the problem. If you find a fix, great, but I'd recommend fixing before you rely to tightly on Kylix until a future version of it is released(with fixes for the 2.6.x kernel problem) :!:

Keep up the great work! If you create a page for your 'variation' of Dev-Pascal, I can post a news item on this and maybe bring more traffic and attention to your project.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

what IDE for FPC

Will: thanks!

My first task is to remove all components not totally supported.
    Well... I know, Lazarus makes huge exes, but with UPX it's possible to reduce the size.

About Kylix: I think the biggest problem is porting ALL vcl components to CLX... cross compiling works by using CLX components only. However, at this time I can't work on a PC with linux installed, so...

PS. I'll do a web page as soon as I have a well working version of DevPas

what IDE for FPC

Legolas: As soon as you have a working version I will be willing to test it for you. I currently have two projects on the go with FreePascal (Both using JEDI-SDL and my S2DL).

Currently I use Lazarus as a develoment environment but once I am happy with my program I recompile using the command line FPC - this results in exes that are a bit less that half the lazarus compiled version. (So make sure we can get the command line from within the IDE).
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

When it could be true ?

I was very happy when I see it!
    I hope it could be true?
    but the time now is 2005/8/26
    Time flies!
    The project be finished?
    I was a chinese!And I was be ready for exam what pass it for university now !
    Next year 2006 I will leave middle school
    I hope dev-pas could be cme true!
    Lazarus is too big for write small program.We need a RAD like dev-pas
    It unhappy when i found bloodshed was no longer go on.Even I though like Legolas but I have not enough kownledge for it !May be it change for when i go to University.
    When it down!I hope I could get it and I will transalted it into Chinese for the people in China!
    I hope I could get a source for Dev-pas,could you mail me one?My e-mail:foolwolf@126.com
    Thanks
    My English is bad.Sorry! ops:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast