Thread: View topic page has top 5cm of blank page

View topic page has top 5cm of blank page

Using Firefox 1.0 on Windows XP, whenever I view a topic I get 5cm of blank page above the 'Pascal Game Development' machine image. I'd post a screenshot but FTP is banned here at work and we cannot attach files to posts in this message board.

I see it here too using IE 6 on Win2k. I could post a screen-shot if someone can tell me where to send it.

Also before the page draws, there is a white page with 7 or 8 "Warning" error messages on it. It goes by too quickly to capture with a screen shot, but I found it in my browser cache and I can send that along too if you want it.

sb

Here's your error, boyz:

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/sessions.php on line 293

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/sessions.php on line 294

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php on line 577

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/page_header.php on line 750

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/page_header.php on line 752

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/page_header.php on line 753

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the feedback, we were aware of it and we are looking into sorting out those warning as well. Seems to be a server specific thang.

Typical new site teething problems.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

When I click on the new post icon (i.e. http://www.pgd.netstarweb.com/viewto...93&view=newest), the page doesn't load at all, but I get the same error as above:
    Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/sites/site61/web/viewtopic.php:1) in /home/sites/site61/web/includes/functions.php on line 877
    Edit: Also, [url] tags don't seem to work with relative links.
    [size=10px][ Join us in #pgd on irc.freenode.net ] [ Sign the Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe ][/size]

A couple of hints...

While the header problem isn't resolved you can put error_reporting(E_NONE) or error_reporting(0), that eliminates all error and warning messages from the output.

Another hint could be to put at the top of your function file this code:

Code:
    if &#40;eregi&#40;"functions.php",$_SERVER&#91;'PHP_SELF'&#93;&#41;&#41; &#123;
        Header&#40;"Location&#58; ../index.php"&#41;;
        die&#40;&#41;;
    &#125;
    that prevents direct loading of your function file by redirecting to main page.
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Can anyone still see a 5cm blank space at the top of the pages?

After scouring the phpBB forums looking for the most unlikely thing it turned out the viewtopic.php had a carriage return at the end of the file. I removed it, re-uploaded it to the site and presto problem solved.

For all you php fans out there. I think this is probably due to developing on Win32 and then having the site run on Linux/Unix.

If you notice anything else curious, let me know.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Looks fixed to me. Good work.