Thread: pascal and learning 3d

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ok, thanks. list of leaks is so long that it doesn't fit on the screen

I built my frame work using a custom linked list design. all things are connected so I worry little about mem leaks. I worked on it for over a year before I started checking for leaks and I wasn't really surprised that I had none. so much more is possible with such a design.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    I built my frame work using a custom linked list design. all things are connected so I worry little about mem leaks. I worked on it for over a year before I started checking for leaks and I wasn't really surprised that I had none. so much more is possible with such a design.
    Are you saying that you add all ingame classes into a single TList with which you free all of them in the end? It would be ince if you can give us more information on this approach or even show us some code examples of this.

this will probable explain it much better then I could
    mine is a single linked looped list and I am using an array of children which makes it possible for each and every class to maintain any number of lists without a container class to manage them. I will try to extract it from my code if you really want it. I plan to release my framework when it is finished but I can't really say how long that will be.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_list

another headache.. object picking!
    I've read about different methods and looks like ray casting is a way to go in my case. But I'm having problems with gluUnProject , not sure what to feed to it.
    Samples I've seen are useing something like that to obtain values for it:
    glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT,@viewport);
    glGetDoublev(GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX,@projectionMatri x);
    glGetDoublev(GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX,@modelMatrix);

those get me identity matrices for projection and model. I guess it's because i'm doing all 'projection' computations in shaders only. I think I know how to fill projection and viewport matrices but every model has it's own model matrix. Should I just use any's model matrix for gluUnProject ? (tried and it didn't work ;p )

Do you really need ray casting? If you only want to select objects at e.g. a given cursor position, just go for color selection. Especially with shaders that's pretty simple and fast. I'm using this technique for selection too (see here). It's easy to implement and extremly fast.

It works like this :
    - Render your scene to the backbuffer (so it's not visible), but only with colors and basic geometry. E.g. one building red, another yellow
    - Limit the viewport to the cursor position (for performance)
    - Read the pixel under the cursor (glReadPixels)
    - Compare read colors with your color-to-object-table

It's very fast and can be implemented in just a few minuts. Especially when using only shaders you just need a new shader the outputs selection colors to the fragment buffer.

If you want to use ray casting, you can check nxPascal demos. Model and Picking demos both use that math. Doing it mathematically has the advantage of knowing exactly which model face the ray hits, and what is the normal vector at that point.

There is also GL_SELECT based function on the works, but it's not working in my tests yet. I used that style many years ago, so at least there's some code left.