Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PGD *TEAM* Challenge?

dont forget to check out turbosquid, there are plenty of free models you can use
    might be also useful for your shooter if you search for "spaceship"

maybe if the theme fits anything i like, i would make a the concept and art
    then i could need someone to shape the idea with me and do the programming

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Well the idea of the challenge is not just for "programming" a game together, but to build and develop the game together. As many, who have been involved in the indie game dev scene long enough, know there is much more than one role to play when making a game, though indies often wear plenty, if not all, hats when working on their projects.

The idea of the challenge would not be to share all hats or just the programming side alone, but to divide up or split certain tasks amoung the 2+ of you. There is also other aspects of working in small team that can be considered a skill too. It's not just to complete more things for a project, but to have an easier time working off each other's strengths to make a stronger result of your work.
    I must admit I'm still not convinced.
    Granted; you can split up work in a group, but new kinds of challenges arise. You suddenly have to coordinate your work with someone else. You need to maintain communication which can easily become an issue. I'm leading a small group on a Danish forum where we're creating a small platformer, and it is a challenge to maintain a good communication level. I can't imagine it will become better, if you have to cooperate with someone across the world.

For a one month challenge, I really don't think you can create a much better game than you can do alone. (Obviously this is subject to individual qualities)
    You can extend the challenge, but then again, you loose the purpose of the mini challenge. To have a short contest so people don't loose interest or get caught by real life.
    Personally I would rather see the challenge go the other way if it needs to change. Shorter periods to develop a game. Well I write game, but really we're only making prototypes/demos. It's nice if the result looks great and more polished, but I would rather have, the challenge focused on innovation and/or fun games.

I don't mind people work in groups for the challenge, but I don't see why the challenge, which marks the most active period on this forum, should force specific work methods on possible contestants. If people want to experience the pros and cons of working in a group, and I believe that's a good thing to try at least once, they should do it of free will, and not as a result of some challenge's requirements.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    I don't mind people work in groups for the challenge, but I don't see why the challenge, which marks the most active period on this forum, should force specific work methods on possible contestants. If people want to experience the pros and cons of working in a group, and I believe that's a good thing to try at least once, they should do it of free will, and not as a result of some challenge's requirements.
    Yes that's true. If I'll find the time to take part in the challenge then possibly not in a team.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

oh i totally forgot to answer directly to the topic
    as some people here already said it shouldnt be a "must" rule, it should as always optional but since we spoken about this thing maybe some people might team up for the next challenge

I also feel it should be optional, as I don't think I can find a team to work with.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries
    Well I got what I was asking for, which was good feedback on the whole idea. pstudio especially has brought up some good points. One that seems to stick with me is the logistics factor. It can be a challenge just to keep a team together let alone create something together. I think even if I did try this one eventually, I'd have to put this one on the backburner at least for now.

You have to admit though, you notice the quality/polish difference a team game project can make. Esp. looking back at the PGD Annuals.

This idea came up some time after a bit of self reflection. I have realized that I am actually a much better "game designer" than I am a game programmer. The difference obviously is that I seem to excel at the design of the game play and game mechanics more so than the software that makes it all work it's self. This is directly reflected in my programming style. All my work seems to lend it's self to ease of design, rather than ease of constructing the software backend side of things.

As such I tend to work better in a team environment.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12