Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recent igdc.ru games

recent igdc.ru games

hi everyone, I would like to show off some of my recent igdc entries (for those who don't know igdc.ru is a russian game development contests community).
    I want to know what you guys think and whether you believe that some of these games may have a commercial future. I am also looking for a graphics designer
    to help me with game development, so if you know someone who might be interested - let them know.

The Evil Game
    IGDC Contest 75 - Arena Shooter
    Download

WIP video:

This game was made in just over a week.
    Controls:
    WASD - move
    LMB - shoot
    RMB - grenade
    Q/mouse wheel - swap weapons
    R - reload
    F - heal

Lost in the Dark
    IGDC Contest 85 - Light & Dark
    Download

WIP video:

This game took nearly 2 weeks to make. the textures and sound have
    been heavily compressed in order to fit in 5 mb size limit.
    Controls:
    WASD - move
    LMB - use weapons
    RMB - interact
    Q - open/close inventory

The Art of Artillery
    IGDC Contest 86 - Ballistics
    Download

WIP video:

This game was made for the contest in just under 4 days. it's one of the games
    that I decided to finish and currently developing it. it is cross platform and
    includes windows, linux, mac and android versions. the games is controlled
    entirely by the mouse (touch screen on android), so there are no complex controls.
    Last edited by Dan; 19-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.

hay nice work Dan, most of us have trouble with geting one game going, you three or more. your art looks good to me dont think anyone here could do any better. perhaps you should try on some of the art forums.

WOW! Nice work on those games.
    If you ask me I think you can surely earn some money with Lost in the Dark. From the quick look the gameseems to have a uniqe approach which is always good. And if you manage to add interesting puzles levels and a nice storry you are a winner.
    As for the other two it is still posible for you to earn some money with them but since there are many similar games on the market already you will have to polish them realy good to compeete with other. At least that is my opinion.

those are good looking games , you made a 3d game in 1 or 2 weeks !! and the result looks like u spend months , you have a good skills

i am thinking if you spend a couple of years on one game , i'll excpect crysis 4

just i tried to compile the_art_of_artillery with lazarus but seems like Gen2MP.inc is missing
    Last edited by AirPas; 20-11-2012 at 08:54 PM.

most of the graphics in the lost in the dark game was borrowed from resident evil 4, otherwise it would take me a lot longer to put that demo together. graphics is my major problem right now.
    has anyone tried to run the art of artillery on a mac? I test my mac releases on a VM so I am not entirely confident that they will run without problems on the real hardware. if you see any
    bugs on linux or android let me know as well.

AirPas, sorry about that, you can find the gen2mp.inc here: http://gen2gdk.com/files/Gen2MP.rar
    the game engine is not publicly available yet, so you will only be able to use it to compile the game for windows with d3d9 renderer.
    the source code might be a bit older than the compiled game so there may be a few extra bugs after you compile it.
    let me know if you need any more help with the code.
    Last edited by Dan; 20-11-2012 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    most of the graphics in the lost in the dark game was borrowed from resident evil 4, otherwise it would take me a lot longer to put that demo together. graphics is my major problem right now.
    well thats to bad since most of what makes up a game is the art. perhaps the real money is in tools that would allow programers like our selfs to create the art they need without having to rely on artists too much. blender is an awsome tool but it is only a parcial solution. texturing is still a major problem unless you have a stead hand and an artistic touch tools like gimp are not so useful. as part of the frame work that I am working on I am looking to create cad like tools for maniputating the textures in a very controled way. and then to be able to see these changes on our model as we work. I think that we as programers need to spend more time working on Ideas to over come our need for artists.

well for me it is not the lack of tools or skills that is the problem, it's the lack of time to make the graphics. the main character model in "lost in the dark" is made by me, but making the entire level environment is a lot of work and takes too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    perhaps the real money is in tools that would allow programers like our selfs to create the art they need without having to rely on artists too much.
    I surely hope so since I'm working on such a tool. While it won't support of making textures directly on existing models I do plan to use a uniqe approach in of making graphics which I belive would be well suitable to us programers.
    When will this tool be ready? Ufortunately I don't know as I'm having some motivational problems for programing lately.

As for the ability to directly paint textures to objects: I haven't seen such tool yet. The closes thing to that was a demo program which shiped with Truevision 3D graphic engine. One neat feture of Truevision 3D was the ability to use dynamic textures which meant that you can actually paint on the objects directy. Unfortunately development on Truevision 3D was ceased a few years ago due the dispute between the two major autors of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    I surely hope so since I'm working on such a tool. While it won't support of making textures directly on existing models I do plan to use a uniqe approach in of making graphics which I belive would be well suitable to us programers.
    When will this tool be ready? Ufortunately I don't know as I'm having some motivational problems for programing lately.

As for the ability to directly paint textures to objects: I haven't seen such tool yet. The closes thing to that was a demo program which shiped with Truevision 3D graphic engine. One neat feture of Truevision 3D was the ability to use dynamic textures which meant that you can actually paint on the objects directy. Unfortunately development on Truevision 3D was ceased a few years ago due the dispute between the two major autors of the engine.
    actually in blender you can paint textures onto models, but it not so easy to control. and for myself I wasn't planing to paint them on directly but to see them on the model as they are updated.
    sorry Dan didn't mean to hijack your thread, I'll say no more

the game compiled fine , seems a powerfull engine , when will this engine be ready to publishe ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast