Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
Can you please remember the name of that game. I have been searching many times to find any such game which would use Pascal language for AI development and I had no luck finding any.
Sorry, I can't remember the name. Thinking back I Think the game used Delphi Web Script. It was a 3D game where you hd to write the AI for a fighting robot.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
If you ask me I think it would be best to use Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs). From what I know all of Pascal Development tools are capable of compiling Dynamic Link Librarry.
But for this to work the game itself should alow the DLL to retrieve needed information so that decisions can be processed and then returned back using some standardiesd procedure. And if you allow theese DLLs to actually be able to store some presistant data you can even write yourself procedures whoch would alow you to actually compile yourself a map so that you can coordinate your units better.
I'm not sure Oxygene can be compiled into linkable libraries. You would also have to make sure that there's no licitation on OS.

Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
the AI you are referring to is comprised of many systems operating together, you have various path finding and steering algorithms for creating 'intelligent' movement from place to place in the environment, this usually operates as a service to higher level code such as state machines, priority lists, scripts etc

Interaction between entities happens at different levels, to calculate the path for the player to take to walk around an enemy, avoiding intersection of geometry is a lower level from game like interaction such as instructing an enemy to attack the player.

Also you'd use/have different approaches/restrictions depending on how many AI entities you plan on processing and the kind of environment that they inhabit.

IE a dynamic destructible environment requires more work for AI to manage than a static environment. Some situations allow you to cache paths across maps, others not so much.

At the highest level it's all game specific, imagine skyrim and enemy AI casting appropriate spells for the situation etc
If it is a game like the Ant game then yes; it is built of multiple sub systems. However the game could be anything. If it is a simple board game the fode needed to make a working AI will also be simple. I define a working AI as a program that can make a valid move each turn. It may not be a smart move but at least the game can continue running.
I will however point out that it will of course not be easy to write a really good AI. It is an AI challenge afterall.

You make some valid points that need to be considered if we were to hold an AI challenge. But do you have an overall point I'm missing? It's not clear to me if you think the AI challenge is a bad suggestion or if you're simple pointing out things that must be considered.

Anyway, the AI idea was just a suggestion. A more traditional game making contest is fine by me. Mayor we could also try a more jam like approach and lower the time the challenge will last. Maybe a week or weekend challenge?