Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A PGD Challenge without Scoring and Judges?

I agree that the AI idea would be better pushed off to an other time, if we want a game challenge in the near future.If we're talking true game jam that takes place over a weekend then I'm definitely up for it.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

I have an idea about a separate contest we could do on pgd. some of you may have heard of igdc.ru, it's a fairly successful russian game development competition website and there is always at least one contest every month. what I could do is translate and post the next igdc competition here. when it's finished we could compare the results of both websites and if anyone makes an entry here they could participate in the voting process. how does that sound?

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Well the AI bot ideas is something to consider for a future event I guess. Of course if someone wanted to co-ordinate, run and organize a separate PGD event such as an AI competition with it's own "arena" platform to run it on that could be something that could be discussed. Why not create a separate thread to see what level of interest there is? The community could support more than 1 type of event if there is enough people willing to participate.
    Agree.

So for a "game jam" style of challenge for the next PGD Challenge event, show of hands who would be in for that? And when is a good time?
    My hand's up!

Can you wait until I upgrade my website? At least until I have a blog so I can use it. Two weeks. Yes, that should be enough. Thanks.
    No signature provided yet.

So for a "game jam" style of challenge for the next PGD Challenge event, show of hands who would be in for that? And when is a good time?
    My hand is up too!
    Mind you, it looks like I have gotten a job (barring physio tests today, medical tests tomorrow) that I'm starting training for on Monday 14th, so we'll see!!

cheers,
    Paul

@Paul_nicholls
    Best of luck in getting your job.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    @Paul_nicholls
    Best of luck in getting your job.
    Thanks! PS. I passed the physio which was great

Bring on the "game jam"

Blog Entries
    So I've started a new thread to more aggressively discuss the idea of starting a 3rd PGD Challenge "game jam". If there is enough interest I will start one soon.

Make a post here to show me you are interested: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...nge-Discussion
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I was busy today looking into IO pipes, and here is a quick demo of communication with host app, and other executable. The executable is only using writeln and readln, kind of what we could use for the AI bots. The host application could even run many processes simultaneously, very likely even without threading involved. It might be that threading could break synchrony anyway, slower processes leaving behind the fast ones, if that matters.

I have another demo on the making for rock-paper-scissors, using randomizer AI, and game host application. That will have to wait a bit though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Look up corewar if you'd like some inspiration on a simulation environment. If you can't absolutely ensure that each 'bot' would have equal execution time etc then having the bots compete one after another against some form of fixed environment would be worth considering.

Due to task schedulers in modern OSs it's not even possible to ensure that single threadded sequential execution would give equal time to each.

The corewar way is to essentially have a VM where it can ensure that the same number of instructions are run for each bot. If you write any utility functions available to the coders in the same VM then you can give a count of VM instructions for each one.

I'd reccomend using REMobjects Pascalscript, you can pry open the VM part and insert counters, break out of execution, store any internal register values etc

-----

If you're thinking much higher level then perhaps a server/client setup with a provided client framework, in a similar concept to 3rd party bots connecting to a quake server. Perhaps a maze or other such task for the bots to complete.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Blog Entries
    Well we are doing our first Game Jam style Challenge now!

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...-Your-Command!

Want to give it a try?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast