Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Master of Orion 2 clone

Blog Entries

Master of Orion 2 clone

Hmm... why not use noeska's OpenAL headers? Since you are already using OpenGL it'll not be hard to combine the 2 quite well.

The great thing about OpenAL is that working with it is so easy. And 3D sound is just as easy too. I've had little or no trouble at all getting a few projects working with OpenAL with very little code. I'd recommend staying far away from DelphiX at your level[size=9px](I'm assuming you are past the beginner's stage?)[/size]. Esp. if you are using OpenGL...

For music, you could use SDL and there is SDL_mixer for MODs? Or there is a pretty good opensourced MOD playback library called SoundLib 2.5a, but it uses DirectSound only. If you don't know what mods are, they are used in Deus Ex and I think the other Unreal Engine based games. Very nice quality and highly flexable and feature packed format.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Master of Orion 2 clone

I believe it is not wise to consider DelphiX as some newbie library. I know its 2D-graphics side is slow if direct3D is not used to help it, but its Input and Sound components work really well, only that it demands DirectX for operating system. My games are usually not portable from windows, simply because i have no interest in other systems

Where DelphiX sound components can pitch sound between left and right speaker, change volume, and play multiple sounds simultaneously, doesn't make it that bad. Those alone can simulate feeling of depth and position of sound. (That won't be needed in this game anyways..)

So far what i have tried finding alternatives for dxsound, they have all missed samples, tutorials, or if they did have samples, they crashed my machine or something (*Bass-library)
    But OpenAL is something i haven't checked before. Trying it now...

Edit: This OpenAL works fine

Blog Entries

Master of Orion 2 clone

If you check out noeska's site further you'll notice that he has soem nice tutorials on OpenAL and even an entirely different section devoted to OpenGL, but I mainly use his OpenAL headers because they're that good.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Master of Orion 2 clone

Inform of slightly better version...

And i'm hoping to get some help with game too. Design issues are currently the biggest problem i have, because i'm not making it perfect clone. I have noticed moo2 lacking some stuff and many things must be redesigned.

My homepage is http://cs.uku.fi/~valo/ where download links keep updating, also my ICQ number
    I have msn and yahoo too if needed.

Edit: Need for an artist is bigger issue now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12