Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Dog Fight Competition

PGD Dog Fight Competition

Well I have threatened to hold one of these for long enough. Now the threat is a reality.

I would like to officially launch the PGD Dog Fight game programming competition. As you may have guessed, Dog Fight is the theme.
    <blockquote>

Theme
    --------
    For those unfamiliar with the term, a dog fight is usually a duelling battle between 2 opponents.
    Traditionally the term was associated with fighter pilots during WWII, but for the purposes of this competition we will allow any 2 fighting entities from bacteria to solar systems .

Rules
    ---------
    1. The game must primarily be written in Pascal and should compile with either Delphi, Kylix or FreePascal. Other Pascal compilers will be considered if we can get them working. Pascal interfacing to DLLs/SOs etc are allowed, as long as Pascal is the MAIN programming language used. Examples of acceptable APIs and Libraries are SDL , OpenGL, OpenAL, DirectX, DelphiX, GLScene, Asphyre, GameVision SDK, GLXTreem, Project Omega, XCESS Game Development Kit to name a few. If you plan to use something else, please check with us before submitting. Usually we will get back to you within a day.

2. All Pascal source code must be included in the final distribution and released under an appropriate Open Source licence. This is so that you are correctly given credit for the code and so that others can learn from your work. The final distribution should include a Win32, Linux or MacOS X executable as well as the source code and licencing information. Also include instructions on how to compile your code and a couple of screen shots. The only acceptable distribution methods are Zip, Tar.gz or Rar compressed archives.

2a. The maximum allowable size for the compressed archive that includes executable and associated resources ( sound, textures etc ), is 10MB.

3. The Executables must be able to run on either a Sony Viao Laptop with a ATI Radeon IGP card or a Desktop machine that has an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti card. You may use more advanced techniques than what these cards support as at least one of the judges will be able to view advanced Shader/glSlang type effects.

4. The competition will run until March 15th ( which gives you 2.5 months ) at which time the competition will be considered closed. From the 16th of March the judges will be assess the entries and a winner will be announced on the 1st of April ( seriously ).

5. The game can be 2D, 2.5D ( Isometric ) or 3D.

6. Games will be judged on the following criteria and awarded a points score between 1-10 in the following 5 categories with a maximum of 50 possible points.
    a ) GamePlay - How fun is the game?
    b ) Usability - How easy is it to pick up and is it challenging enough?
    c ) Quality - How polished is the game?
    d ) Originality - How original an idea is it?
    e ) Wow Factor - What makes it stand out, ( jaw dropping visuals, attention to detail )?

7. 1st Prize : Delphi 2005 Architect - value $3000 (US)
    Donated by Borland

and

Game Programming Gems: v. 5 - value $70(US)
    Donated by Steve \"Sly\" Williams and Dominique \"savage\" Louis

2nd Prize : gameSpace - value $300(US)
    Donated by Caligari

and

3Impact Game Engine license - value $99 (US)
    Donated by www.3impact.com

3rd Prize : gameSpace - value $300(US)
    Donated by Caligari

and

Nexus Memory Manager - value $120 ( US )
    Donated by www.nexusdb.com

8. The competition judges will be announced closer to the closing date.

9. Please try and start something new, as this will be more of a challenge than just dusting off some of your old code and submitting it.

10. The judges decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into ( I always wanted to write that ).

Prizes
    ----------
    I am currently speaking to Borland, ATI and NVidia to see if any of them are willing to supply prizes for the competition. In either case, I will announce some kind of prizes on the 1st of February.

</blockquote>
    Please use the link below to ask any questions about the competition and to post links to your entries as you work on them.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Questions about the opponents:

:?: Are they to be two humans?
    :?: Should we implement an AI opponent for one-player action?
    :?: If two humans, must they be on the same PC or can they be networked?
    :?: Any bonus points for two duelling AIs?

Hi Steve,
    1. as stated in the rules section the opponents can be anything from bacteria to solar systems, so humans are acceptable.

2. Yes it is expected if the enemy/opponent is the computer that some kind os AI be implemented. It does not have to be anything as complicated as Neural Networks but something that makes the game fun and challenging.

3. The game can be networked. As there will be more than 1 judge, we should be able to test this out.

4. Convincing duelling AIs would be nice but is not essential. The emphasis is on one player against another player or against another AI controlled entity, rather than 2 AI's battling it out. There has to be some kind of interaction.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I think i will partecipate
    (and almost surely win :mrgreen
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

Look forward to seeing your entry. I hope it does not impact your work on funcky cars .

Cool initiative!

A few questions:
    :arrow: Not that I plan to, but can it be a team effort?
    :arrow: Also, is there a filesize limit? ie. can we include fancy intro's/music whatever, resulting in huge downloads?
    :arrow: Does dog fight mean, you have to kill/destroy your opponent? Or can you also beat him by finishing an objective before the opponent does?

Hi Steve,
    1. as stated in the rules section the opponents can be anything from bacteria to solar systems, so humans are acceptable.
    I think Sly was talking about players

ive got an idea

:arrow: must there be ai/multiplayer?
    :arrow: im not good at modeling / art, are we allowed to borrow geometry / art ?

Yes teams are allowed, you will just have to fight amongst yourselves if you win the prizes .

There is no file size limit as such, because I would expect to download the entries from the competitor's websites. Just make sure you use high compression in whatever archive format you choose to use.

Yes you can defeat the other opponent by completing a task. I think dog fight implies intense game play. Usually that would entail a battle to the death, but I agree that is could be 2 opponents trying to complete a task under duress.

tux,
    If you do not have AI or multiplayer, who are you playing against? I am not sure about a dogfight with yourself. You may have to clarify a little more, what you are getting at.

Any models, textures, art used, must fall under some kind of distribution licence. So get permission from the author before using it in your game.

If you do not have AI or multiplayer, who are you playing against? I am not sure about a dogfight with yourself. You may have to clarify a little more, what you are getting at.
    i guess you have a point

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast