Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Dog Fight Competition

PGD Dog Fight Competition

Sascha, I am not a big fan of political correctness, so my view is that the player should be able to fight for whom ever they like. Surely games should be about choice.

With regard to the graphics card question... Those are my current specs, I know they are not great, but since having a family, they take monetary priority over hardward upgrades . I will have to ask the other judges to see if they have more up to date hardware. In the mean time the best I can suggest it to code for lower end HW initially as that will ensure that you spend more time getting the game play right rather than the eye candy. Then if your project is structured well, you should be able to add the glSlang stuff as another code path, thereby allowing your game to work on both low and high end machines, just like the professionals. Half Life 2 works on my laptop, I don't get all the fantastic visuals, but it is still very playable.

After a night sleeping on the size issue, I think that a 5MB zip is too small and a 25MB zip is too big. So have decided for the middle ground of 10MB. I will update the News page to reflect this new restriction. So to clarify, the executable and associated resources and source code must fit into a 10MB compressed archive.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems
    And I'd also really like to enter it, but this is what I don't like :
    3. The Executables must be able to run on either a Sony Viao Laptop with a ATI Radeon IGP card or a Desktop machine that has an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti card.
    Umm you're probably right. If one can do a great program, why limiting he that way ? Savage, you can always call a friend with a cool PC and see the game on his computer

And one additional thing, since I plan on a close-to-real WW2-setting : Are we allowed to let the player fight for WW2-germany, or do you consider that something too political incorrect for the compo?
    My opinion is that it is not political incorrect.
    But, how would you fit the Dogfight theme ?
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.
    <br /><A href="http://msx80.blogspot.com">http://msx80.blogspot.com</A>

Quote Originally Posted by {MSX}
    What do you mean with that? Dog fight fit's really great into WW2, since it was the last war where most of the air planes haven't had any air-to-air missiles and fought each other with machine guns. So I guess doing some dog fight with WW2 airplanes like a Junkers JU-87 Stukka against a Spitfire over some war place like berlin would give a great scenario for dog fights.

P.S. : I'm still thinking of entering this contest, but I already have a game project running and I'm still undecided on just halting it for 3 months. Besides this I had some "accidents" within the last months concerning the abuse of some of my open sources which made me rethink my opinion about giving away my sources.

Besides this I had some "accidents" within the last months concerning the abuse of some of my open sources which made me rethink my opinion about giving away my sources.
    I know what you're saying.
    But you also have to consider, that there's also a large group that'll praise you for making it available.
    Nobody is asking you to give away your newest secrets. Your entry could also be a mix of old code neatly tied together.

Hi Sascha,
    I understand your concerns about Open Source being abused and this is certainly something that could happen, but by enlarge, most developers are honest and will give credit where credit is due. There will always be a minority who think that certain rules do not apply to them.

I suppose it comes down to whether you have faith in the most humans doing the right thing by you or not. Is the glass half full or half emtpy?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Sorry for confusing, I don't want the compo to be closed source or so, and I don't have problems with releasing my sources to the public (see my recent newton demos ). It was just a sidenote.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems
    Quote Originally Posted by {MSX}
    What do you mean with that? Dog fight fit's really great into WW2, since it was the last war where most of the air planes haven't had any air-to-air missiles and fought each other with machine guns. So I guess doing some dog fight with WW2 airplanes like a Junkers JU-87 Stukka against a Spitfire over some war place like berlin would give a great scenario for dog fights.
    Ahh ok! For some unknown reason i was thinking about a game like command and conquer, with an army to lead, that would have nothing to do with dogfight

In fact, dogfight is perfect for airplains in the WW2 :mrgreen: That's going to be a great game

Just to put ideas on the table, i was thinking of a 1 vs 1 spaceship battle in a small area (somethink like a city, not in open space). That's the idea, i hope i can work it out (time permitting )

PS I am an active open source fan, and so i hope you will think again about oss. Think of all oss program you use freely
    If you save your data in a proprietary format, the owner of the format owns your data.

i was thinking of a 1 vs 1 spaceship battle in a small area
    Ahh shoot, I had a similar idea

Hey, this sounds great! Though suspiciously like uDevGames . I am going to do my best to make time to participate myself. I'll get the word out to the idevgames crowd as well.

One question. Rule number 2 allows for a Mac OS X executable, then rule number 3 requires that:
    The Executables must be able to run on either a Sony Viao Laptop with a ATI Radeon IGP card or a Desktop machine that has an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti card.
    So is that desktop an Apple machine?

- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    i was thinking of a 1 vs 1 spaceship battle in a small area
    Ahh shoot, I had a similar idea
    :mrgreen:

Dont' think it's a problem anyway Mine will surely be better :clown: :toothy:

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast