Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Dog Fight Competition

PGD Dog Fight Competition

Please guys, let your submissions do the talking .

Chris, I knew that uDevGames had a competition, but I did not know that they also used a Dog Fight theme. Btw, thanks for the getting the word out to the MacOS community.

No my desktop machine is not a Mac, but a friend at work has one that I can test games on.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems
    What do you mean with that? Dog fight fit's really great into WW2, since it was the last war where most of the air planes haven't had any air-to-air missiles and fought each other with machine guns. So I guess doing some dog fight with WW2 airplanes like a Junkers JU-87 Stukka against a Spitfire over some war place like berlin would give a great scenario for dog fights.
    I've been playing Battlefield 1942 online,in particular the Battle of Britain map, as ...uhh... research. Yeah, that's it. Research for this competition.

P.S. : I'm still thinking of entering this contest, but I already have a game project running and I'm still undecided on just halting it for 3 months. Besides this I had some "accidents" within the last months concerning the abuse of some of my open sources which made me rethink my opinion about giving away my sources.
    I have a game project currently underway as well. The engine that I'm developing for it can easily be used for this competition though. I'm planning on using Newton as well. Guess I've got a bit of a learning curve in front of me, so I'll be studying your Delphi Newton demos well.

No, uDevGames has never had a Dog Fight theme, that is unique to PGD.

> No my desktop machine is not a Mac, but a friend at work has one that
    > I can test games on.

Oh good, thanks for clarifying.

Blog Entries

Firstly, Welcome to PGD's forums Sascha and Chris!

I am in no way in charge of the compitition rules so none of this is a part of the official rules. Just an idea and some possibilities to consider.

As I have read and understood, some of you guys may want to use your own 'closed-source' engines and libraries in the competition. Well, this is still very possible without having to release the source of your engine or library. It is after all a seperate product is it not? It can easily be thought of as using a popular Graphics API or Physics engine, if it's a seperate product and is of your own design. The line to draw on this is obviously, it can't be for something you made just for this game.

Well, this is an idea anyhow. But by all means I'd consult savage on this if you are unsure or want the official word for the contest.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

No, I'm not using any engine of mine. Since it's far more challenging to write a whole new game (except some of the basecode I use), I'll do that.

I already got the airplane physics running (thanks to the easieness of newton) and the rest shouldn't be that hard, since I also already have ideas for the gameplay and the settings.

But I have one additional suggestion for judging : Since it's an open-source compo, why not also judge the source and not only the game itself? Good programming means also writing clean, readable and well documented sources and that should go into the judgement of the entries. If clean and commented source won't give any score, then it would be kind of pointless to "waste" time writing clean code and commenting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems
    If clean and commented source won't give any score, then it would be kind of pointless to "waste" time writing clean code and commenting it.
    I strongly disagree. There are many advantages of writing clean code that are primarily related to the quality of your product as well as for the development process. Especially in terms of game contest, I believe if you put the same person to implement the same game in two versions - one with clean and commented code and another - well, the "bad" way I bet the clean version will win (and don't tell me it'll be exactly the same because it won't!) It might take more time to develop it, but hey - there're still like 2 months for the deadline and if you write your code well... you might even find it useful later for somewhere else I think the code should not be judged but I believe it would be foolish not to write it well (even if it wasn't for the contest).

Finally, splitting this thread would be a good idea :roll:

I was a bit unclear again I guess I didn't mean that I don't want write the code clean and document it (since I already started working on the entry : the code is very clean and documented), but it takes time to e.g. write longer comments on how you for example do physics and so son. So since a compo gives you a limited amount of time you have to set priorities, and if comments and so don't go into judgement, then (at least I) you normally try to not write too much comments, but just enough for you to know what it's about.

So I'd still like to see the source code go into final score. Maybe not with big impact, but it should at least give some points.

Here from idevgames.

I'm here from idevgames and had a game in mind...
    (too bad I'm working on a centipede clone)

A multi-player (networked)
    "Souls in the System" clone. :twisted:
    It'll kick tail in udevgames 2005 :twisted:

To bad... :toocool: :fuzzy:

WICKED idevgames doesn't have these.
    Be Cool,
    <br /> BinarySpike
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />Http://binary.macintoshdevelopers.net/

So how does one enter

And for the cross platform stuff. I only have a win box right now (though a linux is possibly coming soon). But I have no means of getting my stuff compiled and tested on a mac. So is it absoultely nessesary to provide binaries for all platforms ?

/Balaras
    I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence. - G.B. Trudeau

The rules the way I read them call for either a win32, a linux, or a mac os x executable... not all three.

If you'd like to have a mac binary to distribute, though, I'm happy to try and compile people's entries on my iBook (FreePascal) 8-)

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast