Thread: Ray and convex polygon intersection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phibermon View Post
    Are you working in 2D or 3D? your statement that models only include convex polygons is incorrect, at the highest order a triangle is convex in flat euclidean space but concave in curved space in comparison.
    I'm building new version of my 3D-modelling software. As far as polygons go, it uses GL_POLYGON for rendering. That often looks bugged with concave. Well, simply put i will never support concaves, nor should anyone. If i want to make a "+" sign (hospital mark), i will build the front face from 5 quads.

I'm not ready to go for pixel color testing at this point, it would need much more work, and i wouldn't get intersection and normal data (i will need it). Also if i'd use ray-triangle for this, there would always be 1 or 2 unneeded test on the internal edges. So it's slower. The function is also counting intersection, normal and culling check with each triangle... So i'd still need to make unique ray-triangle algorithm for polygon only. I could also calculate the face normal once, and use that for all the edges crossproduct math together. All in all, it would be much more optimal to make a real ray-poly function.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    http://chiselapp.com/user/badsector/...y/rtworld/home
    look in the maths.pas there might be something useful
    That code went with the "easy way" for checking polygon as triangles.
    Last edited by User137; 21-01-2013 at 02:39 AM.