Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about sellin games

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    You must have alot of trojans on your computer It doesn't break, and all of the things you mention are configurable. Downloads are games auto-update features which you can disable per game, but are you sure you want to play old version? Popup you mean is propably steam overlay notification, but you can disable the entire overlay. Don't know other popups, took off friend status notifications long ago if such were ever on.
    Maybe you are their target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    Maybe you are their target audience.
    Yeah why not. I'm just very puzzled by some comments about it on this thread. I have never heard of such issues with Steam.
    First thing that bothers me about the steam is the fact that all games get instaled into the steam client folder.
    There we have another... Steam lets you choose where you want to install your games, split them all between multiple harddrives if want.

Every problem mentioned here so far has simple answers available, if you just bother to search a little. It is not intrusive software at all if you configure it to your choosing. No unwanted popups, downloading or anything. On era where everybody has broadband internet connections and multicore processors, i really don't find anything to complain about. Some games are really cheap, like 1-2 euros piece on discounts, if games are not completely free to play anyway (some examples MMORPG's Star Trek online, AION, DC Universe). You can't find that anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Steam lets you choose where you want to install your games, split them all between multiple harddrives if want.
    Would you like to share how you can do this please?

Click Install button, then first dialog that opens has "Choose location for install:", with a dropdown list where you can select different path.

How about getting VAC2 banned from Counter Strike because you have programs it doesn't like..... The VAC2 ban system bans just for having programs running or even existing on your system that does anything it doesn't like, even if it does not interface
    with steam, vac or any steam games.

Now just because I write questionable software for practical jokes on friends and family.... well that's my business not theirs lol.

Whoa! Until now I haven't even knew about this. Now I'll definitly stay away from steam.
    For instance let's say I have several dozens of games bought through steam and then I get banned becouse of some false-positive detection and this would ban me acces to all of them. Are you serious. That is the most ...... I can't find proper words to describe this without breaking the forum rules.

Besides no software has the rights to scan my computer for other software without my explicit permision. Such programs are othervise refered as Trojans or Spy programs.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Whoa! Until now I haven't even knew about this. Now I'll definitly stay away from steam.
    VAC only bans specific game (or all VAC entrusted games, which are not that many), not disabling access to all your bought games. Don't be so easily manipulated Anti-cheat systems are no big news. Counterstrike is propably the most cheated game in history, and they needed equal measures to counter it. Not all games use the VAC, and even if they do, you propably need to actually play that game, for any scanning to happen. Blizzard is another company that uses Anti-cheating of their own.

As for false positives, you might be overreacting just a little bit. Yes they have happened in the past, but at the same time they're incredibly rare. Worst thing i saw reported was another unintentional trojan infecting players computers, and causing VAC alarm. Those guys were given another free copies. What comes to programming games, they will never hit that alarm for sure. Unless you're doing something stupid like CSMapHack.exe, that you run at the same time as playing CounterStrike might raise their interest.

Btw, most Steam games allow all manipulation of downloaded content. Skyrim as 1 example, Valve doesn't care 1 bit if you disassemble the executable and inject your own code to it.
    Last edited by User137; 27-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.

One thing that I dislike a lot about Steam is that it adds "games" to your library without permission. They're not actual games, they're only "announcements", but it's annoing and I didn't find how to disable it (if it's possible).
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ñuño Martínez View Post
    One thing that I dislike a lot about Steam is that it adds "games" to your library without permission. They're not actual games, they're only "announcements", but it's annoing and I didn't find how to disable it (if it's possible).
    Possible yes, in the interface settings is something about new releases. I didn't even know it does something to game library too, i only ever had my own games there.
    steam_notify.png

My personal issues with Steam are mostly minor annoyances, rather than show-stopping problems which would force me to remove it from my system forever.

One, the client has a bad tendency to suck up a bunch of memory (>100MB) whenever it feels like it, and not release it until reboot.
    Two, though it does let you install games on any drive, you still have to install them into its own managed directory structure. I have the vast majority of my games installed on, say "D:\Games", and I can easily browse that directory to find any game I have installed, EXCEPT for Steam games. They are ALWAYS nested several subdirs inside whatever "Library" folder you tell Steam it can use on that drive.
    Three, I have turned off auto-updating on Steam and all the games in the past, and it STILL has randomly started up doing some kind of maintenance in the background, interfering with what I am doing at the time to the point where I have to shut it down completely to get it to stop.
    Four, the client has developed a recent tendency to fail to connect to the Steam servers upon boot, and I have to tell it to retry every bootup/restart. Of course, for some reason, it also thinks I want to view the store window when I do that, so I have to close that down, too. "Retry connection" does NOT mean "take me to the Store!".

Outside of those and a few others not worth enumerating here, it works OK. I don't have any plans to publish games through an aggregation service like Steam; we're just going to stick with self-publishing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12