Thread: Questions about sellin games

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I see most of us really have bad experiences with Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
    (not specifically about Minecraft) My understanding about pay for play is that real money is exchanged with virtual money in the game to advance on levels, getting items and other features unlocked.
    That has more sense. Thanks.

Steam *is* a DRM and just by definition of it, any game published through Steam uses DRM. For instance, I've purchased Metro 2033 on GamersGate, and it requires Steam, so just to run the game, I had to download a third-party package that limits the usage of product; this is exactly what DRM is.

In my own experience: it did not improve. Their buggy application when doesn't break, downloads things without your consent and displays popups when you least expect it. But maybe I'm not their target audience.
    That was my experience. I think I'm not their target audience too.

I think this applies only to Windows 8 RT. However, I would suggest to avoid this platform altogether because... it's Windows 8.
    Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    That third-party package being Steam itself? Only real limitation as far as i see, is that you must have internet connection, and that's not even true always. Offline playing works aswell sometimes.
    That's the problem. I don't have the modem running all day. I put it on only when I'm using it, and I don't need it if I'm not playing a multiplayer net-based game.

A question: Is it possible to get the requirements of all the stores (Steam, Apple Store, Play store, etc.)?
    No signature provided yet.

I myself must join others who are not happy with steam.
    First thing that bothers me about the steam is the fact that all games get instaled into the steam client folder. This can be very inconvinient when you are slowly running out of space on that drive and still have plenty of space on other drives.
    Also I must say that I dislike the steam client entirely. I hate the fact that steam client needs to runn at the same time as steam games do. I have steam client autostart feature disbled becouse I don't like the fact that it is downloading updates both for games and for itself whenever it pleases as it can consume your whole bandwich. I hate for it to shows me various popup windows even when I least wan't it (when I'm playing non steam based game), which can sometimes lead to undesired consequences (crashing some older non steam games). I cerainly don't like that if you don't have steam client already running and try to start one of the steam games it always goes and checks for updates even if you have them disabled.
    I also hate that if for some reason steam client freezes due to some bug you can quickly end up having multiple steam clients running at the same time.

So in short I'm trying to avoid in buying steam games whenever posible.