Thread: Kylix 3.0 OE and me...

Kylix 3.0 OE and me...

Okay I just downloaded this bad boy and have a machine ready to run Linux. Now I need some expert advice on what steps to take. Should I go with Red Hat or Mandrake? Does Kylix require a specific interface like GNOME or KDE, or could I get away with using BlackBox? Also are there any special requirements for either OS, to run Kylix, that I should know about before I start (what is glibc? is it true Mandrake needs a rebuild to include debug symbols?).

I'm kind new to Linux (and installing it), but I'm pretty familiar with Unix as far as using it goes. Never much used X Windows. But I figure it's about time to learn.
    My DGDev forum pascal syntax highlight settings:
    <br />[background=#FFFFFF][comment=#8080FF][normal=#000080]
    <br />[number=#C00000][reserved=#000000][string=#00C000]

Kylix 3.0 OE and me...

Hi Xorcist,
    I currently use Mandrake 9.0 and installed Kylix 3 ( Both C++ and Pascal complier ) onto it without a hitch. I have only ever used Gnome and KDE as Window managers so do not know if it would work with Black Box. I also know some people who swear by Suse 8.x and say that it works fantastically with Kylix. I have not had any feedback about people using Redhat however.

The Kylix installer will let you know if your version of Linux does not support the things it requires. As far as I am aware, at least in the Pascal compiler ) I did not have a need to recompile the OS in order to debug a Kylix app, but then I am only working at the GUI level using SDL or OpenGL.

I hope some of this information proved usefull.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Kylix 3.0 OE and me...

Well, i haven't tried Kylix 3 yet, but Kylix 1 and Kylix 2 both worked nicely on Blackbox...

Was using Debian 2.4 at the time i tested it...

Assuming you have installed all the necessary libraries on ANY linux dist I would expect Kylix to run as well as on the dist(s) Borland suggest for development..

Regards
    //raidos

Kylix 3.0 OE and me...

I used Kylix 2 on a RedHat 7.1 machine. The only problem I had was that I couldn't run the applications (compiled) outside the Kylix environment, however that seems to be solvable by changing some config file.
    For the rest Kylix itself works like a charm on a RedHat machine!

Odd problem I noted with KDE (didn't try gnome) was than when you resized the window to fill the screen and set the borderstyle to bsNone then the events where not registered anymore...

SuSe I hate, it takes control away from you from the moment you run the install (sounds familiar) while RedHat asks me a few things so I can customize the installation!
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org