Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Articles and Library-content Wish-list

Articles and Library-content Wish-list

I was thinking about writting a few quick articles based on lightmapping (based on one used in my engine), if any one would be intrested, how ever it will have to wait until i get back though!?!
    M109uk
    <br />--------------------------------------------------------
    <br />www.pulse-soft.oneuk.com

I would like the following:

1) An article that explains how to apply detail textures (or texture splatting) on a terrain using OpenGL and Delphi (or FPC). We want terrains that look good from a distance *and* close-up without the need for huge textures.

2) An article that describes the structure or architecture of a good-quality game engine, something that could actually be used (and reused) in creating a game. No need for implementation details, just the base classes and their interfaces. How sub-systems (e.g. user input, AI) interact with other sub-systems.

3) A scenegraph tutorial. What are they? Why should we use them? How to organise them? How to implement in Delphi/FPC?

4) A simple step-by-step shader example with OpenGL and some common shader language.

5) Time-based animation, possibly coupled with a replay system. Again, source code please! Just use a simple example of an opengl quad bouncing off the edges of the screen.
    [size=10px]&quot;In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it&#39;s the exact opposite.&quot; -- Paul Dirac[/size]

How bout some simpler articles that could help more people and clear up some common problems that most people face:

With games:

:arrow: Mabye more articles to do with 2d stuff.
    :arrow: Creating a simple UI (buttons, edit boxes).
    :arrow: Game states, etc.
    :arrow: AI.
    :arrow: Box and pixel collision detection.
    :arrow: How to store game data (Images,Saved games,etc).

Most people already know how to do these, but people still get stuck here.
    Mabye some Frameworks, with DelphiX or OpenGl, that'll help people get started with their games.

Outside of games:

:arrow: Compression
    :arrow: Optimization
    :arrow: Sockets,DxPlay,Indie, Multiuser stuff, etc
    :arrow: DLL's
    :arrow: MultiThreading

...Just to get started...

Well in terms of your suggestion on Frame works im currently converting NeHes tutorials for VC++ to Free Pascal. Im aware there is a Delphi conversion which all comments are in Czech so im slowly converting that to english as well. These tutorials start from the very start of setting up OpenGL to begin coding. There are 48 tutorials all up at the moment, but not all are easy to port, at least for me anyway .

I hope by doing this we would have a great resource at least for OGL on Free Pascal and Delphi
    Homepage - http://incubii.port5.com

Sounds like a perfect idea Incubii, I've read through NeHe tutorials a number of times, but always failed when trying to convert into delphi. OpenGl's not my strong piont, but really want to understand it better.

Piece-by-piece breakdown of professional source release

With all the releases of the source for professional games, I would like to see a nice set of articles that goes blow by blow on the various parts of the source and gives an explantion / breakdown of what they to do give us a more clear idea of just how they do it.

Of course it would be much more handy if the source was in pascal, but the writer could always translate.

How about particle engine tutorial? This one puzzles me because I hardly find any Delphi articles about this subject.

How about particle engine tutorial? Very Happy This one puzzles me because I hardly find any Delphi articles about this subject.
    Nehe's (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) 19th tutorial should help you there. Although the origional code is in C, a delphi port is also available.

Why not try to wrinte an advance tutorial, simple tutorials like setting op directX, OpenGL, creating triangles etc. you can google for it!

:arrow: I would like to see a tutorial about lightmapping (dynamic and static in 1 tutorial)
    :arrow: Creating a simple UI (buttons, edit boxes). (like K4Zwrote)
    :arrow: How to store game data (Images,Saved games,etc) in 1 big file.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12