Hi everyone,

I'm trying to implement a simple client/server application which will allow an Open Dymanic Engine simulation to run the same on all the client machines as it does on the server.

In order to do this I need to ensure that the clients are calling the API call to advance the simulation state at the same time, in other words I need to make sure that the clients and server are in sync.

Does anyone have any hints on how to start this sync? I know I need to take into account the transmition time between the server and the client (I'll be using UDP to ensure this is as low as possible), but my brain keeps blacking out when I try to think about the process I would need to go through.

One possible solution which I can up with was to send a number of small packets to determin the lag on the network (in msec) and once this was found I could send the server time and figure out exactly how much time would need to be added to the locatime to ensure the times are the same. But I;m not sure if using the sysmte clock wold get accurate enough. Shoud I be relying on the ticks passed since the app started?

Any thought's would be welcome.

Dean