Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Delphi die?

Will Delphi die?

Borland is moving to .NET so will Delphi be a stupid .NET rad?
    I mean, will Delphi have only the .NET compiler (and not the native Win32 compiler)?

Will Delphi die?

I'm not very fond of .NET so I certainly hope not!
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

Will Delphi die?

With M$'s new Palladium project, who the hell is going to want to keep programming for their OS anyways. Hell I already pulled the plug on M$ from my house-hold, after I heard (and saw) all the crap that was being built into XP (Win2k is it for us, and most of the people I know). I foresee, for myself, a slow transition from the Windows platform to Linux (or maybe even Mac) over the next two or three years.

P.S. Since OSX is built on top of Unix/Linux, shouldn't it be fairly easy for Borland to port Kylix over?
    My DGDev forum pascal syntax highlight settings:
    <br />[background=#FFFFFF][comment=#8080FF][normal=#000080]
    <br />[number=#C00000][reserved=#000000][string=#00C000]

Will Delphi die?

I don't think (or at least I hope) that Borland/Inprise would just drop Win32 Delphi and Kylix and go for completely .NET. Not yet anyway.

Of course if Microsoft get their way it'll be called "P++ Slow Painful Death Edition" :evil:

Will Delphi die?

what did microsoft just do that made everyone hate windows? I am using win2k and i got no complaints, and with bill gate's billion's of dollars windows will never die.... never You have to remember why windows is so popular, its easy to use, and the majority of computer users like that, and they like to play games, therefore, the programmers will stick with windows to make games. That is if they want to make money.
    Bobby Baker
    <br />Delphi Sanctuary
    <br />www.delphisanctuary.com

Will Delphi die?

True, but I can sum a lot of reason why you should hate windows!

However Linux isn't everything either, I loved it when I first started, but now I get annoyed with it!
    <br />

Will Delphi die?

What did M$ do to make averyone hate Windows?

It's a control thing. M$ wants to control every aspect of your computing, will make you pay for new software if you change your motherboard or insert some other hardware which changes your PC's digital signature.

They will soon want to control the data (never mind the means of transmitting, storing and retrieving it).

If M$ can read all your emails, messages, and all your documents are in a M$ format, your trade secrets are not your own.

Innovation needs competition. Monopoly has to kill it.

But, to the question again. I dislike Windows for the following reasons.

First, it is nothing special. We were doing this stuff on the Ataris and Amigas in the 80's In fact, we were doing more on those toy computers than we are yet allowed to do in any Windows environment.

Second, the presentation is incomplete, bugged and has too many undocumented features which only the big developers are told about.

Third, each enhancement is geared towards the M$ development tools and others like Borland have to wait until they are subsequently informed (if they ever are) of the new changes. (Borland and DirectX, Sun and Java).

Fourth, each development is supposed to be an improvement. But I doubt whether this is so. From 95 to 98 to 2000 to XP...... what has actually improved?
    Stevie
    <br />
    <br />Don't follow me..... I'm lost.

Will Delphi die?

*play X-Files music*

They are watching everything we are doing, we have no privacy anymore.... It's one big conspiracy theory.. Microsoft is trying to watch our every move, because they have the time and resources to watch millions of people daily, and read what they type to their moms in their email!!! Switch to linux immediately !

*cough*

I dont buy one thing you said

Also, what has improved since 95 - xp if you dont know that then you shouldnt even be talking so badly about them. They improved alot, speed, compatibility. Once again, i've never had a problem with Microsoft, people are just jealous of what they have become.
    Bobby Baker
    <br />Delphi Sanctuary
    <br />www.delphisanctuary.com

Will Delphi die?

I don't agree with you on the XP improvement Bobby. I have a pretty fast well equiped computer and it takes at least 1 minute to start XP, since Win98 (I have multiboot) takes only 20 secs to start up. It has nothing to do with the amount of software/drivers installed, since they both have about the same speed when nothing is installed except the o/s itself.

Another problem of XP is their new hide and don't tell feature. If something in Win98 crashed it told us something had crashed (in some unknown offset kinda way language), however Windows XP just crashes but keeps silent about it, those are the new system improvements and that's what makes people think XP is better than 98.

I like Win2000 that was an improvement, but since it is a full NT version it also has all the security protocols and that's what makes it slow and incompatible with a lot of games. However my personal opinion of XP is that it is a very basic, low security Win2000 version where all the good things have been left out and all the bad things of Win98 where put in. I hated every O/S M$ has made after DOS, but Win95 first edition was the best of the entire OS series.

I'm not jealous of microsoft. I don't own a company and even if I did I wouldn't be a match for a lot of big companies out there. I don't mind MS making a lot of money, but I think Borland is much better than MS when it comes to programming languages (they always have), but MS kills of other programming languages by keeping secrets about their OS, they should play open card about the OS and then compete fairly with their programming languages.

Oh and when it comes to Linux, I loved linux for a long while, but it started to annoy me, which I blame on the Open Source features. I don't like having to compile my applications before I can use them and I hate the idea of having to download 15 libraries before I can run a program. Another thing I hate is that a lot of files are never where they should be so you always have to search about 1 hr before you find what you are looking for... No OSes haven't been the same since DOS died...
    <br />

Will Delphi die?

alone from the fact that my computers speed doubles every two year but the performance of windows stays the same you see there is no improvement. My Windows-directory needs more space than my first win95 pc had harddrive. When i start XP it allocates 200mb of my 256mb ram... just for all the nice looking crap and the unwanted features.

but that's nothing I really care for! The problem is that m$ new plans might put an and to all freeware and shareware programming. Their plans of future is that every program needs a certification to be run on a computer even a OS. These certifications are about 100.000$ and granted by microsoft. -> The ultimate monopoly and we loose our hobby! And Linux might not be an alternative anymore!

The keyword you should research on is 'TCPA' and 'Palladium'. I suggest you to visit www.notcpa.org and read the FAQ's. If you did that and still support Microsoft's view of future I'll be surprised!

-lith
    programming is more than copy and paste!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast