Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Will Delphi die?

Will Delphi die?

If Delphi dies, it will probably be because of industry standards. Face it, C++ and Java are the languages most software studios use. Pascal is looked upon as outdated and of poor quality. There are only a handfull of studios developing with Delphi, and it seems they're getting fewer. I wouldn't be surprised if Delphi infact suffered from an official death, but it's highly unlikely that it will die out completely. I would prefer using Delphi professional, but the standards are C/C++ and Java. Ain't much we can do about it really.
    BK - we.create (tm)

Will Delphi die?

ive heard of a very large number of ppl who would like to use delphi as it's their language of choice in the workplace but their boss's dont see eyet to eye..............their too microsoftish.

Will Delphi die?

Java bah i can't that stand that friggin runtime crap it wastes way too much ram.

Oh btw been away for awhile am back now

Will Delphi die?

I think a lot is riding on Delphi 2005, but even if that fails, I don't think Pascal will ever die out. FreePascal is becoming a more viable alternative every week as it supports more platforms and becomes more stable. Lazarus, the FreePascal IDE, is still a fair way behind Delphi, but given time it can catch up and maybe even surpass it.

I think 2005 will be a very interesting time for Borland. Very interesting indeed!
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Will Delphi die?

do you think delphi 2005 will be a success then?

Will Delphi die?

Quote Originally Posted by tux
    do you think delphi 2005 will be a success then?
    delphi 2005 is total waste of time, don't bother.. if borland can't decide to
    separate its pascal tools into .net and win32 and make a proper name for
    the tool - delphi? is this a joke? doesn't sound any professional doesn't it? wtf??

and if they would build a proper website support system and forum and
    advertise it properly..

also, lazarus binaries are ****ing huge, 5MB for a empty exe? are they mad??
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Delphi IS dead

Delphi has been dead since Delphi 6. From 7 up it has become a net-app designer, nothing more. They bloated it with bullshit to make "productive" programming, meaning it's not good for anything else. You can ofcourse "not use" all the bells and whistles but let's face it, which one of you have tried D2005? the ide SUCKS HARD. Lazarus is a breeze compared with that. And I'm NOT talking about the MDI interface. The godamn thing takes hundered of MB ram, loads up for seconds and is unresponsive. The whole idea of an "all-tool-IDE" is doomed from the beggining.

As to the M$ issue.. I'm a happy Linux user for a year now(switched some 13 months ago) and I'm completly happy. For a developer linux is some 10 years in front of M$. Anything-wise. And if you use things like Mandrake you'll find out it's even batter for the average joe too. Oh did I mentioned I play NWN, Doom3 , UT2004 and some other games there too?

Never froze ether...

JernejL: Learn to use Lazarus and FPC properly and you'll get some 1.2-1.4 Mb Form apps.(depending on OS)
    Turn on smartlinking, make sure you strip debug symbols, and you should get this size. Still bigger than Delphi, and even Kylix but not a killer.

Borland has sided with the wrong side of the war. That's how I see it
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

Will Delphi die?

Smaller Lazarus executables:
    Smartlink, Strip, then UPX
    After these operations i guarantee your executables will be about the same size as Delphi ones.
    Lazarus needs programmers, come on people, the FPC team is small, the Lazarus team is extremly small.
    How do you expect them to be an Open Delphi with 1% of the Developers working on Delphi itself for big $$$
    It takes time, why do you criticize the projects and don't help instead.
    I always wanted my own Delphi wich could be totally customizeable and open and Lazarus is just that.
    If Delphi will die it will be Borland's fault, maybe even MS's, i certainly don't want that but their prices and the the versions newer then 7 indicate Delphi will have the same faith Windows will have and that certainly will be death.
    Personally i don't understand why Borland isn't developing Kylix anymore, maybe make a version for MAC OS X, windows is slowly being replaced with Linux, BSD or MAC and Linux is certainly the best OS for developement, oh and if you want it easy, just get Mandrake 10+, FC3+, SuSE or another Plug-n-play distro, get Karamba and other eye candy stuff if you want it nice, install some games and you have a verry good Desktop OS, an excelent developing platform by nature with verry good networking features.
    The future must be... Fast and OpenSource so...
    <br />Think Open and Lightning Fast!

Will Delphi die?

I use Lazarus, and I love it. Not that I hate Delphi, fact is, I haven't used anything but a few trial versions since I can't afford the darn thing.

Will Delphi die?

lazarus needs a big facelit, one their mistakes is that they use exceedingly
    large amout of include file linking and their vcl is so overbloated i can't see
    a point where i could start with design issuses..

at one point i do intend to help lazarus with fresh new vcl units but i'll leave
    it to see it how they will develop it alone.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast