Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Clooties DirectX units? *solved (kind of..)*

Question about Clooties DirectX units? *solved (kind of..)*

Hello,

I downloaded latest DirectX headers from Clooties DirectX pages and "installed" Borland conversion for Delphi 7. Now when I'm compiling my application it requires d3dx9_24.dll (as it earlier required D3DX92ab.dll).

In Clootie_DX92_dlls.zip package is that readme.txt where reads: "EULA prohibits redistribution of d3dx9_24.dll with your applications". And if I try to run my application without that .dll Windows says that dll is missing.

So, how I'm supposed to distribute my application if distributing that .dll is prohibited?
    - In a world without the wall and fences, who will need the Gates and Windows.

I would suggest sending an email to Microsoft and finding out what your alternatives are. Or you could switch to OpenGL .
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Currently according to license you need to ship you code with DirectX runtime redistributive coming with new SDK (or provide a link to it?). MS is well aware currently of limitations this introduced to web oriented distibution, and probably will solve this on April-05 DirectX SDK Update.

But it's legal to use old (Dec-04) D3DX9 library, so you can download headers and D3DX92ab.dll (for D3DX9) from SourceForge file archive and use it till new SDK release. Actually there ar not much enchancements in D3DX9 (at least until we have 64-bit pascal compiler ).
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clootie
    (at least until we have 64-bit pascal compiler ).
    Doesn't FreePascal already do 64bit?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Not for Win64
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Uhm..I'm really wondering. So, you say that with Delphi you cannot make a DirectX application (with the newest DX units) which can be distributed leagally or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Clootie
    Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Not for Win64
    Which Win64 ? :-)

I can't buy a win64, so there is none (one can only get the Itanium version in Eur 20000+ "solutions", or the AMD64 version in beta)

I'll just measured that, with the newest directx headers i got 30 frames per second more than, with the previous ones. Also rendering time is faster (obvious, of course) with this newest release.

Isn't there anyway to distribute applications with the newest headers? Why these even exists then, if you cannot distribute applications you have made with them? Is everybody else using the previous ones or OpenGL instead? Answer please. This is really bothering me? What the hell we do with these s*#t if they cannot be used for the public? This is getting me pissed off. :evil:

Edit: How come Clootie can share this .dll with he's applications in he's download page? Is he violating the EULA or what?!? :?

Quote Originally Posted by marcov
    Which Win64 ?
    I've meant Windows64 for AMD x64/Intel EMT64 available freely in RC2

Quote Originally Posted by FusionWolf
    Isn't there anyway to distribute applications with the newest headers?
    As I've said: if you need to use D3DX9 from February-2005 SDK Update you should NOT INCLUDE d3dx9_24.dll in your "installer" files but additionaly ADD DirectX runtime distributive and (recommended) call silend DirectX runtime intall during your installation process (throw DXSetup). This way you comply to DirectX SDK EULA.

Edit: How come Clootie can share this .dll with he's applications in he's download page? Is he violating the EULA or what?!? :?
    Shhh... don't tell this to anybody :roll: Or you want me to force anyone to download DirectX runtime by yourself just to try new headers? This is why I've added comment about d3dx9_24.dll is only provided for development - and shoul not be provided when redistributing your application.

Okey, thanks for your answer. You mention that this .dll comes with DirectX runtimes and I should include that in my distribution. I have installed those runtimes to my own computer and if I try to run my game without that .dll in the game folder Windows says that, it's missing. So, how come it would work on somebody elses computer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast