Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which OpenGL Version to use for 2d games

Which OpenGL Version to use for 2d games

Ok, I would like to make a simple 2d game in OpenGL. I have followed a few OpenGL 2 tutorials and think I could get my head around it. Is it worth learning opengl 3 or 4 simply for a 2d game?

if your just making 2d games probable not, you should check out zengl it might save you some time

Quote Originally Posted by 3Shrike3 View Post
    Ok, I would like to make a simple 2d game in OpenGL. I have followed a few OpenGL 2 tutorials and think I could get my head around it. Is it worth learning opengl 3 or 4 simply for a 2d game?
    You may want OpenGL 2 for compatibility with some older hardware, but if you are going to use raw OpenGL, if you stick with OpenGL 3 (Core functionality), it will be much less confusing and you will learn modern OpenGL a lot faster. My suggestion is to learn OpenGL 3 (ignore anything that is lower than this) and stick with it. As a bonus, you will find transition into OpenGL ES (iOS, Android) easier, should you decide later to pursue it.

Was it that some of OpenGL 2 and earlier commands don't even work on OpenGL ES?

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    Was it that some of OpenGL 2 and earlier commands don't even work on OpenGL ES?
    Yes, that's right. Fixed-function pipeline don't work in OpenGL ES 2 along with some other deprecated functionality. This is why if you stick to core OpenGL 3, you get relatively clean API, which should be mostly exchangeable with OpenGL ES 2.

OpenGL ES 1.1 still has some legacy functions, but it is a deprecated API.

Ok, so I've decided to learn opengl 3+. Noob question time: So I have to install dglOpenGL and what should I use for windowing if I want my game to be cross-platorm? Because glut is old I think.

http://www.spacesimulator.net/index.php?p=home
    I don't think we have any multi platform solutions at this time sdl2 would be a good choice if we had working header files. I'm using xlib at the moment. there is enough here to get you started if you speak a little C++

I'm using Lazarus form and TLazOpenGLContext. It should be perfectly multiplatform. (That with dglOpenGL header, no glut needed for me at least.)

right, so I think that I will try TLazOpenGLContext. Does this sacrifice any speed though?

it would not be my first choice and I dont think it is opengl 3.0+ ready so you will have to open an extended content yourself for all supported platforms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast