Thread: I need help (fighting game, Delphi 7 using GLScene)

I need help (fighting game, Delphi 7 using GLScene)

Hi, the reason i am asking for help is because i'd like to create a game in Delphi 7 using GLScene, the game is going to be a fight game, 1 player versus another player, controlling each their toothstick man to fight with.

Currently i have create the form, scene and drawn a vertical buttom line functioning as the 'earth'. This might be a newbie question for you but please answer. I'd like to know how i can create a toothstick man and how i can move parts of his body.

Regards Anarki.

This might be a newbie question for you but please answer. I'd like to know how i can create a toothstick man and how i can move parts of his body.
    Nope, it's not a newbie question. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
    I'm not that familiar with glscene either, so I had to dig a little myself. Accoording to the faq of glscene, it is possible to use objects from 3DsMax with glscene if you export them as smd format. using a plugin. (clicky)

Thanks for the quick reply... but!

I am looking to create it in 2d, sorry i didnt mention it before.

Ok,... but if it isn't 3D then why use glscene at all? I mean, wouldn't it be easier to use SDL instead?

Anyway,.. if it's 2D then you're a bit limited in your options. The way I see it, there are two options. One: you prerender all possible states of your characters and use those as a texture. This is by far the easiest option, be it that you need a lot of different textures as each removed bodypart requires you to have a different set of pictures to use in animations.

Two: you use multiple textures for each body part. This is however somewhat more difficult as you have to program all the movements for each body part yourself. See for a great demo here (clicky). Advantage of this methode is that you have more freedom in your movements and you only need a few textures per character.

Here's another cool (flash) demo, demonstrating my second option: http://www.minicl...

Thanks alot for those flash movies, love you

Anyways, the reason i am trying to work it out in GLscene is because i am most familiar with it.