Thread: Just installed Linux

Just installed Linux

Well, last Friday, I fitted a new harddisk, and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0! Finally I can give up on Windows... well not quite. Havn't got the modem to work yet, though I'm downloading the (hopefully correct) drivers. A couple of other problems I've had are firstly that the monitor alignment has to be adjusted when I switch from windows to Linux, and secondly, if I attempt to access the DVD-ROM drive when it is empty, the 'read' light comes on permanently and the system almost freezes, which is not good. This doesn't happen with the CD-RW and floppy drives however. Apart from that it's fine.
    [size=10px][ Join us in #pgd on irc.freenode.net ] [ Sign the Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe ][/size]

Just installed Linux

I have a tri boot both at work and at home.

Windows 98 se
    Windows 2000
    Linux Debain

I'm thinking of dropping the 98. I just dont use it overly much anymore.

I'm curious. Why did you choose mandrake?
    I havn't played with that distro.

Armand

Just installed Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Armand
    I'm curious. Why did you choose mandrake?
    I havn't played with that distro.
    Mainly because it came on the PC Plus DVD from the January 2003 issue (Why are computer magasines always a month or two ahead of everybody else?). Also, I read that Mandrake and SuSE are the easiest disros to install.

I got the modem driver downloaded and installed and I think it's OK, but I haven't had time to test it yet.
    [size=10px][ Join us in #pgd on irc.freenode.net ] [ Sign the Petition for a Software Patent Free Europe ][/size]

Just installed Linux

I was going to download an updated GeForce 4 driver, but there seem to be three versions: UP, SMP and Enterprise. Anyone know what the difference is and which I probably have?

Just installed Linux

I am now officially viewing this site in Linux!!

Just installed Linux

Here's a screenshot.

Just installed Linux

Ahhhhh good old KDE!
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

Just installed Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Useless Hacker
    I read that Mandrake and SuSE are the easiest disros to install.
    I've heard that as well but It can be a bit fiddly to keep going smothly.

I like Debian because of Apt-get.
    Wonderful little package manager.

my tipical sinaro is.
    try to run something.
    the something says you need blah.
    apt-get install blah
    something will now run.

you can also upgrade easly by useing apt-get update.
    It also most of the time gets the dependincies right.

But eh. Thats just my thoughts.

{Appolgies for the lack of coherance. Sat up _Way_ to late codeing a map editor last night. (Note I need a sleepy Emoticon)}

Heh

I am using WinXP and Slackware
    perfect combination
    do not FEAR, I is here

Just installed Linux

I and Linux played football, round called "Installation Process". Linux RedHat 7.3. The results were: 1:11 (failed 11 times, could install only 1) Installing... in the middle of install, super crash! another install... I change to Disc 2, system lock up... third install, crash in configuration screen... etc. hopefully, my football game was more "successful" with Mandrake - it was only 2:3. I've also played with Linux 7.0 - don't remember the score back then I also installed once Solaris, I won that game at 1:0 anyway, although Linux is closer to the heart and I have to use it from time to time, its interfaces are and will be still very far from those in Windoze they'll also have a lot of things to improve - installation (fix the damn bugs!), Library-Hell, and include the #&%*^#@ antialiased font support!