Well in a private message to K4Z about development of this game, I wrote up an interesting peice of text that describes how I plan on putting all the major peices together and what the more exciting features of the game would be. So, here is what I wrote.

I plan on creating a map/level editor soon that I can use to create maps for the robot to run through. From there I can move on to scripting enemies (with a enemy creator that will handle assigning animations and AI stuff), scripted objects, animations, events and dialog. Pretty much anything that doesn't involve the map directly. Think of the scripted objects and enemies like a seperate layer of the game level.

It'll come together something like this:

1) You maps...
2) Your level script with events and triggers for in-game manipulation...
3) Your enemy, player, weapon and item objects pre-made and used by the scripts and game engine.
4) The game engine and menu code that binds it all together.

5) Extra features, game modes, etc...

At least this is a rough description of what the game's makeup will be like. Don't forget the Boss battles too. I think I will need a battle mode where you can run it as a player vs. player, AI vs. player or AI vs. AI for learning mode. As I will be using Neural Nets for the bosses so that they will learn and will be more effective as opponents. The 'trainning' portion will require AI vs. AI so that I can run it a few hundred times so that they will evolve enough. It's a process that takes time to do, but it's all a semi-automated task, which is kind of neat.

I think that the main selling point of this game will be the advanced AI technique. Of course a multi-player co-op and battle modes would be fun for Internet/LAN play. Wouldn't it be fun to play as any of the types of evil robots that you discover in the game? You unlock new robots to battle as by uncovering secret locations/discs or something? Or by simply defeating a new boss allows you to play as/against him in multi-player battle mode.