Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD DogFight Competition comes to a close...

Re: AREA52 - Please dig deeper...

I say it again : Those are my PERSONAL opinions, so please take them for what they are. And yes, I'm playing many ego-shooter, including UT2004 where I played Instagib-CTF for years, so I know what I talk about. And I also never said that the AI in Area52 is bad or something, I just said that I did not found the AI-enemy very entertaining and that I would have prefered a network and/or splitscreen-mode.

Re: AREA52 - Please dig deeper...

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems
    I say it again : Those are my PERSONAL opinions.
    Yes, i know.
    I was just taking advantage from your opinion to remark my gamo's features.

PGD DogFight Competition comes to a close...

[quote="cairnswm"]
    Some games are obviously too high spec for my Notebook (Centrino 1.5, 1GB RAM, 64MB Intel Extrmem Graphics for Mobile) and just dont run at all - SodomaLite - and some are so slow it doesn't work - MadAeon.

Hi!

sodomaLite requires DirectX 9.0c and hardware-acceleration on your video-card. I suppose that is the problem. Or, there is a bug

I'm now downloading games, and later, when I go home, I'll try them out... So, no comments for now...

Best regards
    alexione/mindnever
    blog: http://alexionne.blogspot.com/

[quote="Sascha Willems"]At last, so now I can tell my opinions about the other entries. I'll just do it entry by entry (alphabetical) :

• sodomaLite
      Just dl'ed this one, but since it is only playable over network I haven't tried this one out. At least from the UI it looks very professional, but since this is a team-effort it's no real surprise that it looks so polished.

You can still try it on your own... Just fill player info, host game, choose table and go!
    blog: http://alexionne.blogspot.com/

Please don't take this personally, all this is only an opinion which may be based on incomplete or misunderstood information... This opinion is written from "user/player" point of view only.

First of all, I must say - it was very difficult to find the "upload link" (to download the entries from there) - it was way hidden in the PGD Compo thread. Then, I and Soulhab tried most of the entries and we're sorry to say that somehow we're disappointed (honestly I expected more).

The most important issue was that about half of the games did not run from the start - access violations, errors, etc. We had to make "effort" to make them work (P3 1.2 Ghz, GeForce2 Go 32Mb, P4 2.4 Ghz, ATI Radeon 9k - WinXP SP2, Latest Drivers, DX 9.0c) - play with configs, etc. Second, most of the games "assumed" most of the controls which were very difficult to use (90% of all games had this issue). Maybe it was our lack of joystick, but at least 70% of the games we were unable to control properly (if at all). The ability to "configure" the controls can be good, but only for people who know what the game is about (experienced ppl?) We think the best game was AirBlast, which was probably the only one that worked right after installing and which we were able actually to control well.

Also, many games had an impressive quantity of bugs. Maybe many people were short on time, but the quality factor was very low in overall - most entries were gone to "functionality" (i.e. network play, etc.) where they could actually get more into "quality" (less bugs, more stable, multiple weapons, explosions, etc.)

Anyway, as for me, this is not exactly what I was expecting. All the bugs (installation and run-time) is the worst part of it... sorry if that's not exactly what you want to hear - I know you all worked too hard on this and would probably expect everybody to appreciate the effort, but testing the compo entries was more like an "buggy Win98-beta installation" experience rather than enjoyable one.

I have now added a link to the download area in the main News post.

Thanks for pointing it out LifePower.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Ive tried all the games. All ran fine for me. Except SodomaLite... I cant get it passed the Host Game menu .... However, im very pleased with all the games. I'm not going to say whos i liked best or anything just to keep it to myself and not hurt anyones feeling. What I do wish to say is that SodomaLite's UI is really awsome, i love it's pro feel

When i press host 1st time.. it says COnnection Timed out... I press it again it goes to level selection, but nothing after that happens.
    I have a 2005 CRF 250 so &lt;^&gt;(&gt;&lt&lt;^&gt;
    <br />http://www.gtrpg.com/

same as xGTx, all the games at least start and/or play on my system (ive given them all a quick run through)

@Lifepower :
    You shouldn't forget that we all are just hobbyists, which means that none of us has a QA departement or dozens of PCs to test his game. I e.g. only had the chance to test the game on three different PCs (all with WinXP) and they all ran my game fine, but getting hands on more PCs with different configurations is not easy.
    As for the controls it's also not easy, since the controls someone finds very easy to use are hard for another person. E.g. someone that uses to play with keyboard+mouse maybe has problems playing a game with a joystick.

ppl, keep in mind that my previous post was an opinion, not a dispute neither an argument It's interesting how everybody is getting defensive or arguing just because of an opinion... just watching a message starting: "@Lifepower" (in bold!) looks already like pointing the gun at the bad guy Peace... :roll:

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast