View Poll Results: How long should a competition deadline last?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Months

4 25.00%
  • 3 Months

9 56.25%
  • 4 Months

3 18.75%
  • 5 Months

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Length of a Contest Deadline...

Blog Entries

Length of a Contest Deadline...

I do agree that the theme, prizes, etc should not be announced until the official openning of the contest, but you have to admit that this time around, understandibly due to the fact that we are doing this for the first time as a site, not widely recodnized by the larger programming community at the stage that we were at then, it did take us a little while to get the word out about the contest on other sites and advertize it around the net.

And though I would not phrase it as a supprise, I think that we could definitely give a little net-wide heads up when the next competition will be so we can get more eyes on earlier in the game. I think that that will help us next time around.

If you guys can correct me; I don't think I saw anyone post news on GameDev.net's news page about the contest? I think we should make sure we capture that medium for next timefor sure. It's read more frequently than their forums I think.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I personally submitted a news item to GameDev.net, but it never appeared. Whether I did something wrong or that they decided not to publish it, I have no idea.

We will definately let them know about the contest results, so that should prepare everyone for next time.

Also, I definately think we should tell visitors to our site that a competition is coming up, but not what the competition will be about.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I think the perfect amount of time for a contest is 1 month. I use about that much time to work on my entry and physically I couldn't do more.

I work 10 hours a day - spend 3 hours with family, sleep 6 - leaving 3 per day for the contest and relaxing - I cant manage more than a month of spending those 3 hours everyday on my entry

Contests that are 2 or 3 days are fine in that they test what you know - longer contests allow you to learn while you do your entry. I built a wonderful framework in my game and it will manage changes with hardly a blink. (I am busy adding computer AI as my son keeps asking me to play - and 10 games a day is a bit much)
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

PS. Ludum Dare 48hour contest is on 15,16,17 April.

(I have already put in leave for the 17th....)
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Traveller, I don't know any competitions where they tell you what the subject/theme will be before the competition starts.
    Please name any that you know of.
    I'm not saying we should give all details, but merely some sort of indication that a competition is scheduled at (insert date & time).

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I'm not saying we should give all details, but merely some sort of indication that a competition is scheduled at (insert date & time).
    Ah ok, we are on the same wave length then. I totally agree. That was my nuuubie mistake on this contest.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12