Thread: Textures and memory usage

Textures and memory usage

I ran into a few problems when I found that my program wouldn't even work on graphics cards with 32 megabytes of graphic memory. :roll:

So I downsized my textures and reduced colour depth and now everything is sweet. My question is..

How are textures stored in the video memory of a graphics card?

if Photoshop says my picture is say 256k and the picture has 8 bit colour depth does that mean it will also only take 256k in video memory or is everything multiplied by 4 and stored as full RGB + alpha?

Does it makes sense to load bitmaps into video memory that have 4 bit colour depth. I can reduce a number of my textures to 16 colours withoutr apparent visual loss, but is it wortyh the effort.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

If you haven't done it then implement texture compression. IIRC then textures are stored uncompressed as RGBA in texture memory

Regards Jeppe
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Modern cards don't support paletted textures. If you want to compress textures use DXTx / S3TC compression
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

So what you are saying is that unless they are compressed I may as well leave textures in RGBA format?

Ok thanks.

Is there a utility available that displays how much video memory is used by an application? I am sure I have seen one nefore but I cannot rediscover where/what it is.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

some versions of NVIDIA PerfHood supports it (for NV cards only)
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.