Thread: Irrilcht Engine now works with Delphi 2005...

Irrilcht Engine now works with Delphi 2005...

After Specis pointed out on this thread that the Irrlicht engine now has a .NET interface, I decided to try and port their simplest Hello World demo to Delphi 2005.

After much hair pulling, mainly due to the fact that I did not have Service Pack 2 ( you *must* have this patch ) for Delphi 2005, I finally got it working...
    <center>
    <a href='http://www.savagesoftware.com.au/DelphiGamer/images/Delphi-Irrlicht.png' target='_blank'>
    </a></center>

I don't think the .NET interface is feature complete yet, but it certainly looks easy to use.

If anyone has Delphi 2005 and they would like the project for this demo, please let me know.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Yea, i'm impressed with how well this performs and would am considering using it for a game, im a little unsure because to use it with Delphi you need to go .net only. And as yets its not feature complete. even though the development page says it is..

Other than that though, it seems pretty impressive to me

Blog Entries

I would like to see Delphi .NET of some fassion used to make a game. I don't mean one of these cool DirectX/OpenGL(can it support OpenGL?) demos/examples. I'd like to see a completed(or semi-completed) game using it.

There is reason to believe that there is hope of a Delphi 2005 created game under the .NET platform being ported tothe Pocket PC, isn't there? I'd at least like to think that Borland was thinking of that scenario in this.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Irrilcht Engine now works with Delphi 2005...

I converted Example 2 to Delphi .Net, even though the .net version seems to be missing the octree stuff had to extract the quake3 map stuff manually as that section isnt in the .net version yet either, but even without optimisations on such a large mesh it still ran ok

I just got PC Pro today, and Delphi 2005 PE was with it,

So i thought i'd give the PE a try with irrlicht, works fine with it. though i do get faster framerated with my Delphi 2005 Pro for some reason....

anyway just thought i'd mention it

Great stuff Specis, thanks for keep us posted. Maybe we should have a central repository for Delphi.NET Irrilcht Engine demos, until it is absorbed into the Irrilcht CVS.

If we could port the full Irrilcht arena demo to Delphi.NET that would be uber cool.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Yup, im still working away with irrlicht and delphi 2005 its still missing stuff but im hopefull for future versions of it

Ive not had a whole lot of time to actually do anything further with it besides play about with the code i have, but hopefully in the next few weeks that will change.