Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delphi 2005 Personal Edition on DVD of current 'PC Magazin'-

Delphi 2005 Personal Edition on DVD of current 'PC Magazin'-

This is mostly one for the fellow german Delphi-coders out there :
    The german IT-magazine PC Magazin includes the Personal Edition of Delphi 2005 on it's DVD in the current issue (5/2005). And if your local store does not have this magazine, you can still order a copy here.

Since the magazine only cots 7?¢,¬¨ with the DVD this is the cheapest opportunity to get your hands on Borland's newest IDE. Although the PE is missing some features over the other versions you shouldn't miss this one (I just bought it this morning and as of now I look into D2005 PE to find out how good/bad it really is).

Please make sure that you have applied Update/Service Pack 2 to your copy of Delphi 2005, as this fixes quite a few bugs that made it into the initial release.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Is that the English version or the German version that is included on that DVD ?
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

what ever happened to beeing allowed to download the personal edition from the site? ive got my license key but no download :lol:

They changed their minds! You can only obtain D2005PE through those CD/DVDs delivered with magazines...
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

As far as I can see (there was no option) it's german only. But if you have been working (like me) with a professional/enterprise version you don't really want to switch to the PE. It's not the missing components, but they removed the CodeExplorer and the possibility to jump between/directly to the declarations (CTRL+...). Missing those two features really hurts the workflow, so I think I'll stay with my D7 Enterprise. The only positive things about the PE are that it starts rather fast and that it does not need much memory when running.

And as for patches :
    I looked into the installation directory and it seems that this version already comes with the service pack 1 preinstalled. SP 2 only seems (at least Borland's description tells it) for the ither version (architect, etc.)

I've recently found a Delphi 6 Personal Edition copy (old) on the net..
    a shame that I don't use it anymore because I use Lazarus now.
    But Delphi, especially versions 2-6 are superb.
    Without Delphi, Pascal would be forgotten now. Instead, Pascal programming is coming to live again, also thanks to the efforts of the Free Pascal team of course.
    (I still have the original version Delphi 2 - a collectors item)...
    Marmin^.Style

D2005PE will also appear on next month's PC Pro (UK) magazine.

The Personal versions of Delphi have always been missing certain IDE features, such as jumping between method declaration and definition, class completion, etc.

Even with Update #2, D2005 is still not as stable as older versions of Delphi. Just have a browse through borland.public.delphi.non-technical for some comments on D2005.

I've recently found a Delphi 6 Personal Edition copy (old) on the net..
    Is it a legit copy? If so, link me! I can never find these free copies of Delphi, and have always wanted to use it rather than FF(not that FF is bad).

It was a 100 % legit Delphi Personal Edition. But it's gone now.
    I know that Delhi is magical to people; this was the case from version 1-5.
    Lazarus/free pascal is way, way better and faster. And cross-platform. Use Lazarus instead, believe me, i was a Delphi user for years.
    Marmin^.Style

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast