Lazarus is currently my IDE of choice (I'm a Linux user), although I don't use it for anything other than compiling FreePascal programs (but I have experimented quite a bit with the LCL). It's nice to have a cross-platform Delphi clone (plus or minus a few things). On the other hand, I really don't like the old GTK user interface, especially with its relatively crappy text rendering ability. It just doesn't compare to GTK2. For example, in GTK2 the GtkTextView widget includes more functionality and a much higher quality text rendering capability.

But as of today, I have been able to compile Lazarus with the GTK2 bindings. Bravo! At least now my eyes don't have to suffer. But there's still some way to go. For example, a few features of the IDE don't work with GTK2. The text rendering is a little slow. Some LCL components don't work properly. But if the work continues, then things should improve.

By the way, has anyone managed to get OpenGL working with a Lazarus window in Linux? It's easy on Windows (almost identical to the Delphi way), but I haven't figured out a way on Linux.