Thread: Delphi XE4 is out, supporting Windows, OS X and iOS!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lifepower!

Tell us, what was about you secret work with Embarcadero and XE4, we are curious. I think you are not in NDA anymore and you can tell us now what were you working with! =)

Definitely I will try Delphi XE4.

Actually I use Lazarus+Freepascal for Mac/iOS port of my games, but It was so complicated to install and configure everything which I'm afraid of if I format my MAC I would not be able to configure everything again! =P. And actually debugging works for me, but It's a pain! To add an Breakpoint in my pascal code, I need to create a call to an Objective C function, add the breakpoint on the Object C function, run the game, stop in breakpoint of the Objective C function, Use the Call Trace (which does not works most of the times) to find my Pascal source code and so add the breakpoint there! I really hope Embarcadero created a more intuitive environment to create iOS applications with Delphi.

Sorry my english.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    Tell us, what was about you secret work with Embarcadero and XE4, we are curious. I think you are not in NDA anymore and you can tell us now what were you working with! =)
    The project that we were (are) working on for Embarcadero has not been released yet, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until next update with Android support. I was also involved in FireMonkey work for this release, mainly for iOS platform.

Quote Originally Posted by wagenheimer View Post
    Actually I use Lazarus+Freepascal for Mac/iOS port of my games, but It was so complicated to install and configure everything which I'm afraid of if I format my MAC I would not be able to configure everything again! =P. And actually debugging works for me, but It's a pain! To add an Breakpoint in my pascal code, I need to create a call to an Objective C function, add the breakpoint on the Object C function, run the game, stop in breakpoint of the Objective C function, Use the Call Trace (which does not works most of the times) to find my Pascal source code and so add the breakpoint there! I really hope Embarcadero created a more intuitive environment to create iOS applications with Delphi.
    Debugging works both in iOS Simulator and on iOS devices, similarly to how it worked on OS X and Windows. On actual device it is a bit less informative than on simulator, so if you have a problem, I'd suggest debugging on iOS Simulator first.

When deploying to device, I'd suggest disabling internal debugger and setting "release" mode - this way deployment and execution are must faster. All previous code from XE+ and up should function without modifications, but there is a new feature called "Automatic Reference Counting" similar to the one in XCode. This means that you don't have to explicitly release any of the classes, they will be released when they go out of scope (through you can release objects explicitly by assigning nil to them). There are some "tricks" to go around this, but I won't mention it here. As result, existing code should work (since calling to .Free assigns nil to variable), but new code can be simpler and cleaner.

There are also some new language features too, I'd suggest looking for them at Embarcadero's web site.