Thread: Why Lazarus is rebuilding project each time i run?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    I will do my best to help if you still need it.

Although I've never understood why so many people have issues with Lazarus, for at least 2 years on multiple machines and multiple platforms fresh installs from the daily SVN snapshots have always worked for me first time. The occasional crash whilst debugging in the early days but no show stoppers.

Just tell it where FPC is, the sources and GDB and it's all hunky dory.

This is all on fresh installs of various Oses and on machines that have been used for years with many installs of lazarus, custom FPC setups etc

I'd love to know what people are doing their machines / installs that causes it to break so utterly. Try a snapshot. Uninstall Lazarus and any FPC you might of installed. Clear any environment variables that may be setting FPC paths etc

Edit : I've not tried the specifc builds you're referring to. Just ignore me. I've not personally had issues with Lazarus.

Also loving generics support in FPC, I'd use them extensively if it wasn't for the fact I've a vast code base with a consistent coding style that already has the things generics make easier, defined. Might go thru my code and replace all the stuff that's applicable with generics one of the days, assuming it doesn't obfuscate things too much.
    Last edited by phibermon; 06-08-2013 at 09:02 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

I started using SVN for both Lazarus and fpc long ago, and can say it didn't come without problems (some fpc 2.7.1 versions are simply incompatible with Lazarus, and i needed to get some version earlier). But it is as you say, all units need their paths. Note, also Windows environment PATH. To compile fpc SVN (2.7.1), version 2.6.0 is required. And to do that, i have to upkeep 2 versions of fpc.cfg and fp.cfg. Both of them include paths such as:
    Code:
    # searchpath for units and other system dependent things
    -FuD:\pascal\fpc\svn/units/$fpctarget
    -FuD:\pascal\fpc\svn/units/$fpctarget/*
    -FuD:\pascal\fpc\svn/units/$fpctarget/rtl
    There was some generic symbols at some point i guess, to use some variable, but they never worked for me. And that's as far as Lazarus go.

If you're interested in how i compile fpc SVN, here's the script that does it all in 1 click (i didn't name the folder 2.7.1 because SVN is always latest, and might become 2.8.0 some point, who knows) :
    Code:
    @echo off
    REM this batch-file is executed in D:\pascal\fpc\svn\
    REM bin\i386-win32\backups contains svn pathed fpc.cfg and fp.cfg

echo Ready to start compiling FreePascal?
    echo ---
    pause
    copy D:\pascal\fpc\2.6.0\bin\i386-win32\*.* D:\pascal\fpc\svn\bin\i386-win32
    copy bin\i386-win32\backups\*.* bin\i386-win32

set PATH=D:\pascal\fpc\2.6.0\bin\i386-win32;
    make.exe clean distclean
    make.exe all LINKSMART=1 CREATESMART=1 OPTIMIZE=1 OPT="-gl -O2"
    make.exe install INSTALL_PREFIX=D:\pascal\fpc\svn COPYTREE=echo UPXPROG=echo
    echo ---
    echo All done.
    echo ---
    pause
    Last edited by User137; 07-08-2013 at 06:12 AM.

Thank you for all the help and tips. I will bookmark these.
    I did install fresh XP and then Lazarus and got same error: "Failed to execute -B.."
    Pointed it to 2.7.1 folder and all works fine again.

Weird thing is that my copy of 2.7.1 does not contain sources and make.exe, everything else is there.