Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newton Game Dynamics - Linux Version

Newton Game Dynamics - Linux Version

As already promised some time ago, the Newton Game Dynamics Engine is now also available for Linux. You can grab version 1.32 of the SDK here (also includes all tutorials).

As for the Pascal/Delphi-Headers : Since they are now maintained mostly by myself they're not available for Linux. I'm no Linux-user (although I have a distro installed somewhere) so I haven't ported/tested them under Linux. The headers itself (get them here) work with FreePascal, so they may also work with Linux out of the box. If that's not the case and someone wants to port the header to Linux, please contact me!

I'll test it on Linux this evening.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

ok, I just had a quick look at the NewtonSDK for Linux and they/he is supplying a libNewton.a file, which I believe mean that we need to statically like to the file. Do you know if he will stick to static linking or will he move to dynamically linking ( ie libNewton.so )?
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

on the windows one there are .lib and .dll so possibly. go to the newton forum and ask him

I'll ask Julio directly on this matter. For Win32 (at least for the C-version) he is supplying a static and a dynamic library, so I guess he may do this for Linux too.

Please ask Julio if a shared object will be released.

Ah, sorry for fogetting about this ops: I'm very short on time these days and some serious real-life stuff is dragging on my attention. But as I see you already did and Julio answered that it'll be released with 1.35. So it shouldn't be too long, since NGD1.35 is already in beta-testing (and looking very good btw ).

No problem Sascha, I know how real-life can get. I look forward to playing with 1.35.

Dominique, I'm right now writing a cross-plattform FPC-Template for use with OpenGL and Newton. I've also asked Julio directly to also release a linux shared-library for Newton with the next release, and he already replied that the next SDK will have both kinds of library, shared and static!

I finally got KDevelop and FPC set-up and working together on my dual-boot Linux (based on Kanotix) so as soon as the shared library is released (we SDK-developers usually get stuff a bit earlier ) I'll try my template on Linux. Right now it's using plain OpenGL, but I'll install SDL on linux later this day and try to use SDL for even more cross-plattform-fun.

Just wanted to let you know, so that two people won't do the same stuff.

P.S. : Now the only thing needed is someone who is willing to get this stuff ported to MacOS. There are some Mac-users over at the newton forums (with some nice projects), but none of them is using FPC. Since the template will use SDL, it shouldn't be hard to get it working with Mac OS (I guess so...). So if any mac-user is interested please let me know! The more platforms the better!

Great Stuff Sascha, I look forward to the next Newton release!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast